Glenn Beck Befuddles With 'Go the Way of Oprah' Warning for Jon Stewart
By Rob Shuter Posted Sep 28th 2010 10:20AM
Glenn Beck isn't mincing his words towards Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, warning them that if they continue with their planned rallies in Washington, D.C., they will "go the way of Oprah."
"I don't know how this shakes out, and I don't claim to be the one who is left standing in the end. Here's what I do claim. I believe that those who play these games at this point, who are not honest, who are in bed with the special interests, who are in bed with what America knows is wrong, they will go the way of Oprah Winfrey," Beck said on his radio show this week.
Beck may be referring to the Queen of Talk's ratings dip since she endorsed Barack Obama for president back in 2008, the first time Oprah has ever publicly endorsed any politician. He may have simply seen her Tweet from last week saying she though "Jon Stewart's on to something." However, media smarties are scratching their heads wondering what on earth Glenn is talking about.
She adds: "Is Beck warning Stewart and Colbert that if they keep on doing what they're doing they too might find themselves a quarter century-long cultural phenomenon with a best-selling magazine, numerous books and their own network?"
It is true that Judge Judy is beating Oprah in the ratings right now, but even politicos like Sarah Palin and Obama know when you want to sell something, you visit the great O.
"Oprah is the biggest TV star on the planet," one TV exec tells me. "She has millions or viewers and is about to launch her own network. Everyone on TV would kill to end up like Oprah."
So what's got Glenn's goat? Clearly he's feeling touchy because Stewart and Colbert's Oct. 30 "Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive" is both a parody of the FOX megastar's recent DC event, the "Rally to Restore Honor," and is shaping up to rival it in popularity. On the rally's Facebook page, over 167,000 people are already saying they're making the trip, with an untold (and more difficult to predict) number of others expected to attend. Yes, those number should be taken with a grain of salt, but they are still impressive. A National Parks Service official estimated between 300,000 and 325,000 turned out for Beck's gathering on Aug. 28.
It would seem odd indeed if Beck was warning Stewart and Colbert about losing viewers. While Beck's own ratings have leveled out since his rally, earlier this year, the conservative commentator was weathering his worst ratings since joining FOX. By mid-May, he was down 50 percent from his peak audience, and though he has since somewhat recovered, his viewership presently averages approximately a million fewer viewers than his 3.4 million viewer high.
So, what do you think Glenn's "go the way of Oprah" comment meant?
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Fights -
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- Politics -
- TV News -
- WTF -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Oprah Winfrey
MORE ABOUT Oprah Winfrey
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Oprah Winfrey Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Farrah Abraham Steps Out With New Boyfriend Simon Saran in Las Vegas After Lip Injection Scare: Pictures!
- Nikki Reed Talks Fiance Ian Somerhalder: "He's the Most Amazing Man That's Ever Walked the Planet"
- Full House Cast Reunites For Creator Jeff Franklin's Birthday: See Bob Saget, Lori Loughlin, John Stamos, More, Plus the Cast Sings the Theme Song!
- Blake Shelton scores as host and musical guest on 'SNL'
- A new Miss Universe will be crowned tonight in Miami
- 'American Sniper' continues box office dominance
- How Much Would It Cost for Normal Person to Attend the 2015 SAG Awards? Find Out the Astronomical Sum!
- WWE Diva Eva Marie Skips Meals and Risks Her Health for Photo Shoot—See the Shocking Total Divas Clip!
- Christina Milian Gets Emotional While Bonding With Her Daughter Violet—See the Adorable Turned Up Clip!