'Sister Wives' Family on Bigamy Investigation: 'Risk Worth Taking'
By Zach Dionne Posted Sep 28th 2010 03:26PM
In response to the investigation, the Brown family issued the following statement to PopEater: "We are disappointed in the announcement of an investigation, but when we decided to do this show, we knew there would be risks. But for the sake of our family, and most importantly, our kids, we felt it was a risk worth taking."
Police told PEOPLE Monday they were looking into the family's situation before the show's Sunday premiere, and confirmed that publicity surrounding the series prompted the legal curiosity.
"At the conclusion of the investigation, the evidence will be forwarded to the Utah County Attorney's Office for review and possible prosecution," Lt. Darren Paul said.
According to PEOPLE, bigamy is classified as a third-degree felony in Utah but isn't often investigated.
See a clip from 'Sister Wives':
The family is content with their lifestyle, nontraditional -- and legally punishable -- as it may be. "If we raise productive, contributing members of society who are moral and ethical, that's our final goal, whatever their path is," says Janelle Brown, 40, who has six children with Kody.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Angelina Jolie: Maddox and I Will Be "Side by Side Learning" About His Native Cambodia
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Releases $1,700 Hip-Hop-Inspired Clutches: All the Details on the Luxe Purses
- Caitlyn Jenner Mourns Murder of Two Transgender Women on Her Website
- Gisele hiding boob job under burqa?
- Amnesty International's legalized prostitution push turning off celeb supporters
- Miranda Lambert establishes scholarship for female artists
- Donald Trump Angrily Responds to Claim He Called a Breastfeeding Lawyer "Disgusting," Calls Her ''Terrible''
- Watch Out, Mulder! Robbie Amell and Gillian Anderson Are Looking Super Adorable on Set of The X-Files
- Earl the Grumpy Dog Is Here to Knock Grumpy Cat Off Her Cranky Throne