'Sister Wives' Family on Bigamy Investigation: 'Risk Worth Taking'
By Zach Dionne Posted Sep 28th 2010 03:26PM
In response to the investigation, the Brown family issued the following statement to PopEater: "We are disappointed in the announcement of an investigation, but when we decided to do this show, we knew there would be risks. But for the sake of our family, and most importantly, our kids, we felt it was a risk worth taking."
Police told PEOPLE Monday they were looking into the family's situation before the show's Sunday premiere, and confirmed that publicity surrounding the series prompted the legal curiosity.
"At the conclusion of the investigation, the evidence will be forwarded to the Utah County Attorney's Office for review and possible prosecution," Lt. Darren Paul said.
According to PEOPLE, bigamy is classified as a third-degree felony in Utah but isn't often investigated.
See a clip from 'Sister Wives':
The family is content with their lifestyle, nontraditional -- and legally punishable -- as it may be. "If we raise productive, contributing members of society who are moral and ethical, that's our final goal, whatever their path is," says Janelle Brown, 40, who has six children with Kody.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Trista Sutter's Daughter Blakesley Reads Us Weekly, Looks in Awe of Desiree Hartsock, Chris Siegfried's Wedding Pics!
- Ryan Gosling Attempts His Best Australian Accent, Videobombs Russell Crowe While He's Presenting at the AACTA Awards -- Watch
- David Spade Spends $900K on Souped-Up Version of Joe Dirt Dodge Daytona Car, Says It's "Too Nice" to Drive!
- Melissa Gilbert explains why she had her breast implants removed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?The Big Bang Theory' recap: Sheldon is under pressure