Supreme Court to Hear Anna Nicole Smith Case
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Sep 28th 2010 11:20AM
Marshall's will left nearly all his money to his son, E. Pierce Marshall, and nothing to Smith. The younger Marshall died in 2006 and Smith died of a drug overdose in 2008.
Smith challenged the will, claiming that her husband promised to leave her more than $300 million above the $7 million in cash and gifts showered on her during their 14-month marriage.
But the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with a Houston jury that said Marshall was mentally fit and under no undue pressure when he wrote a will leaving nearly all of his $1.6 billion estate to his son and nothing to Smith.
Smith's estate is appealing that ruling.
Marshall's estate said they are ready to fight for their case. "We have never wavered in our commitment to uphold the clearly stated and carefully documented wishes of the late J. Howard Marshall, II concerning how he wished the estate he created be distributed after his death," a statement from the estate said.
The convoluted dispute over J. Howard Marshall's money has its roots in a Houston strip club where he met Smith. The two were wed in 1994 when he was 89 and she 26. Marshall died the next year and his will left his estate to his son.
Smith challenged the will in a Houston probate court, alleging the billionaire's son illegally coerced his father to exclude the former Playboy model from sharing the estate. She alleged that her husband promised to leave her much more.
While the probate case was pending in Houston, Smith filed for bankruptcy in Los Angeles, alleging in federal court filings that her husband promised her a large share of the estate.
In late 2000, the bankruptcy court awarded Smith $474.75 million, which a federal district court judge reduced to $89.5 million in 2002.
But in this case's first trip up to the Supreme Court, Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy in March 2009 refused to lift a court order that prevented Smith's estate from collecting that money.
Elaine Marshall, Pierce Marshall's widow, had argued that the order preventing Smith's estate from collecting the money should remain in place while the tangle of competing claims was sorted out.
Smith's 4-year-old daughter, Dannielynn Birkhead, was named Smith's heir in 2008 after she died of a drug overdose at 39 at a Florida hotel. The girl's father, Larry Birkhead, and attorney Howard K. Stern are in charge of the estate.
Stern is on trial for drug conspiracy charges involving opiates and sedatives allegedly given to Smith.
2010 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chinese Woman Spends Entire Week at KFC After Getting Dumped By Boyfriend, Says She "Needed Time to Think"
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- Paris Hilton slammed by world famous DJ
- J.K. Rowling writes backstory for Potter character
- NBCUniversal settles lawsuit with unpaid interns for $6.4 million
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!