Melissa Etheridge Predicts End of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'
By Melinda Newman Posted Sep 30th 2010 10:26AM
"I know that we as a country and we as a world are moving forward into understanding that you can't legislate people's choices and what one person considers good and what one person considers bad," the musician and gay tells PopEater.
All decisions are governed by fear or love, Etheridge believes. "It's crazy and I know that those votes only come from fear," she says. "That they push those votes through in an election year, it just shows who's running the show up there."
The 'Fearless Love' singer foresees a day when civil rights are a foregone conclusion. "Fears of terrorism, of being attacked, these very seemingly real things that are there, they get all tangled up with love and gay rights," she says. "I know in the next 10, 20 years this will all be behind us and we will all sort of laugh at those crazy days when 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' was a law."
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Nicole Kidman plays Grace Kelly in movie set for 2014 Oscar season
- Actor Christoph Waltz rushed off stage after sounds of gunfire erupt at live talk show
- Report: Beyonce pregnant with second child
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- Find Out What Beyonce Will Name Baby No. 2!
- SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4?
- What You'll See When 'The Vampire Diaries' Returns
- EW.com's 4th Annual Season Finale Awards: Nominations wanted!
- Peter Parker with a bong? Joe Casey springs ?The Bounce' ? FIRST LOOK
- Extra Scoop: Don't Ask Kanye West to Poke Fun at Himself on ?SNL'
- YouTube Challenge: Maria Teams Up with Prank vs. Prank
- Sherri Shepherd Talks Coping with Diabetes