Melissa Etheridge Predicts End of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'
By Melinda Newman Posted Sep 30th 2010 10:26AM
"I know that we as a country and we as a world are moving forward into understanding that you can't legislate people's choices and what one person considers good and what one person considers bad," the musician and gay tells PopEater.
All decisions are governed by fear or love, Etheridge believes. "It's crazy and I know that those votes only come from fear," she says. "That they push those votes through in an election year, it just shows who's running the show up there."
The 'Fearless Love' singer foresees a day when civil rights are a foregone conclusion. "Fears of terrorism, of being attacked, these very seemingly real things that are there, they get all tangled up with love and gay rights," she says. "I know in the next 10, 20 years this will all be behind us and we will all sort of laugh at those crazy days when 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' was a law."
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Whitney Houston's daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, found unresponsive in tub
- Celebs and sports stars converge for pre-Super Bowl party
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Stephen Fry urges UK to pardon gay men
- Val Kilmer Responds to Health Scare, Denies Tumor Operation
- Bobbi Kristina Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in a Bathtub
- Rumor Bust! Lindsay Lohan Does NOT Want to Become a Witch
- Taylor Swift Wishes Justin Timberlake Happy Birthday, Posts Throwback Photo With Beyonce, Jay Z
- Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney to Perform at Super Bowl DirectTV Bash
- Rihanna Teases "FourFiveSeconds" Music Video With Kanye West, Paul McCartney: Kanye Wanted to Do "Street Denim" Style