For Daytime to Click, Anderson Cooper Must Do a 180 With Women Viewers
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 1st 2010 06:00PM
The unnamed show will cover social trends, entertainment and human interest topics, Telepictures announced Thursday, and will debut next fall. Whether it will be a hit will depend on how well Cooper can connect with female viewers, but if his ratings for 'AC360' are any indicator, he may have a hard road ahead.
According to Nielsen, his newscast just wrapped up a quarter that saw a purging of female viewers. From June 28 to Sept. 24, the show attracted 57% fewer women in the coveted 25-54 demographic compared to the same time last year. The show now averages more young males than females.
But his women woes are just the beginning. The depressing Nielsen numbers also indicate 'AC360' just had its worst quarter ever in both total viewers and the 25-54 demo. This year? 582,000 total viewers. Last year? 1.2 million.
CNN has made it clear Cooper's their man, with network president Ken Jautz calling him the "standard bearer for the type of journalism that CNN has become famous for."
So will daytime be different for the host? He's had several memorable guest runs filling in for Regis Philbin on 'Live,' among many other appearances in the day, so viewers know he's good at witty banter and light subjects.
Since the daytime show was announced, headlines asking 'Anderson Cooper: The Next Oprah?' have been popping up. The TV Queen is set to air her final 'Oprah Winfrey Show' on Sept. 9, leaving a void that Telepictures may believe Cooper can fill.
Cooper called the daytime deal "an exciting opportunity to show another side of myself."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Joan Collins Reigns Supreme on The Royals: Read the Recap!
- Keeping Up With the Kardashians Recap: Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Kicks Scott Disick Out of the House
- Game of Thrones Recap: Jon Snow Is Enraged, Sansa Stark Is Engaged in "High Sparrow"
- Lil Wayne's tour bus hit by gunfire on Atlanta highway after performance
- 'Furious 7' box office champ for fourth straight weekend
- 'Good Fellas' actors spill secrets at 25th anniversary screening
- 2015 Daytime Emmy Awards: Ellen DeGeneres, Kelly Ripa, Betty White, Bobby Flay and More Big Winners
- Jay Z Is "Determined" to Defend Tidal App, Makes Promise That "We Are Here for the Long Haul"
- The Good Wife's Emotional Punch to the Gut: Kalinda, Alicia and a Letter