J.K. Rowling To Oprah: Harry Potter May Not Be Over, After All
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 2nd 2010 10:44AM
"I could definitely write an eighth, a ninth book," Rowling said, tantalizing fans of the beloved wizard series. "I think I am done, but you never know."
The sit-down occurred in Edinburgh, Scotland, where the two talked about how the 1990 death of Rowling's mother left the writer with a well of grief -- and inspiration.
"The books wouldn't be what they are if she hadn't died," explained Rowling. "I mean, her death is literally on every other page in the 'Harry Potter' books."
She added, "At least half of Harry's journey is to deal with death, what it does to the living, what it means to die, what survives death....If she hadn't died, I don't think it is too strong to say there wouldn't be Harry Potter. The books are what they are because she died."
The author, 45, also revealed what it was like to end the seventh (and presumably last) novel in the franchise, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows':
"It was a bereavement, it was huge," she told Oprah. "Initially I was elated, then I cried like I had never cried before."
Now married to anesthesiologist Dr. Neil Murray, her second husband, Rowling says -- despite a fortune Forbes estimates at $1 billion from book sales plus film and merchandise royalties -- she often still feels like the nearly homeless single mom she once was. "I do still worry" about money, she said.
And who but Oprah Winfrey would understand better the startling sensation of struggling to make a paycheck before suddenly striking it rich -- and very famous?
"I really, really never" saw it coming, said Rowling. "I was so unprepared for it, and this was the thing that I think I really have never spoken about: I was a writer. I had no one near me, either professionally or personally, who could in any way help me when I had questions, like, 'What do you do when the press is searching through our trash?'"
And the Independently Mega-Wealthy Women's Support Group was born.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Taylor Swift Leads Celebrity Tributes to Oscar de la Renta After News of His Death
- Kris Jenner Clears Up Rumors About Bruce Jenner's Transformation; Monica Lewinsky Was "In Love" With Bill Clinton: Top 5 Stories
- Teresa Giudice Dropped By Crisis Manager Wendy Feldman After Filing Orange Is The New Black Prison Request: Details
- Speak-The-Plow! The ?Old Lindsay Lohan Is Back' & We Are ?Really Proud Of Her,' Says Friend
- ?Dembabies' Ain't Going Anywhere! Judge Throws Out Woman's Maternity Claim She's The Real Mother Of Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon's Twins
- Crash & Burn! 20 Former Child Stars Who Flamed Out Spectacularly
- Gene Simmons: Young women should marry older men
- Country singer Martina McBride pursues cooking passion
- Selena Gomez reveals sexiest photoshoot yet
- Go Girl! Jennifer Lawrence Swings an Ax and Impresses All the Guys in New Serena Clip
- FKA Twigs Takes "Video Girl" to Extreme With Google Glass in New Conceptual Video: Watch Now!
- RIP Oscar de la Renta: Famous Fashion Designer Remembered by Taylor Swift, Ivanka Trump and More Celebs