J.K. Rowling To Oprah: Harry Potter May Not Be Over, After All
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 2nd 2010 10:44AM
"I could definitely write an eighth, a ninth book," Rowling said, tantalizing fans of the beloved wizard series. "I think I am done, but you never know."
The sit-down occurred in Edinburgh, Scotland, where the two talked about how the 1990 death of Rowling's mother left the writer with a well of grief -- and inspiration.
"The books wouldn't be what they are if she hadn't died," explained Rowling. "I mean, her death is literally on every other page in the 'Harry Potter' books."
She added, "At least half of Harry's journey is to deal with death, what it does to the living, what it means to die, what survives death....If she hadn't died, I don't think it is too strong to say there wouldn't be Harry Potter. The books are what they are because she died."
The author, 45, also revealed what it was like to end the seventh (and presumably last) novel in the franchise, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows':
"It was a bereavement, it was huge," she told Oprah. "Initially I was elated, then I cried like I had never cried before."
Now married to anesthesiologist Dr. Neil Murray, her second husband, Rowling says -- despite a fortune Forbes estimates at $1 billion from book sales plus film and merchandise royalties -- she often still feels like the nearly homeless single mom she once was. "I do still worry" about money, she said.
And who but Oprah Winfrey would understand better the startling sensation of struggling to make a paycheck before suddenly striking it rich -- and very famous?
"I really, really never" saw it coming, said Rowling. "I was so unprepared for it, and this was the thing that I think I really have never spoken about: I was a writer. I had no one near me, either professionally or personally, who could in any way help me when I had questions, like, 'What do you do when the press is searching through our trash?'"
And the Independently Mega-Wealthy Women's Support Group was born.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Little Princess Is Here! Gush Over These 5 Outfits Kate Middleton Should Dress Her Daughter In
- Kate Middleton, Prince William Welcome Baby Princess: 5 Best Highlights!
- Brooklyn Decker Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Andy Roddick: Baby Bump Photo!
- Blues legend B.B. King in hospice care at his home
- Prolific crime and mystery writer Ruth Rendell dies
- Ireland Baldwin out of rehab but still getting help
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao's Fight Night: 9 Star-Studded Moments We Were Obsessed With
- Spice Girls Reunion! Victoria Beckham Brings the Group Together to Spice Up David Beckham's 40th Birthday
- Rick Santorum's Views on Bruce Jenner's Transition May Surprise Some: "You Have to Respect Everybody"