Author Jonathan Franzen's Glasses Stolen, Ransomed
By Zach Dionne Posted Oct 5th 2010 12:41PM
According to TheBookseller.com, two men gatecrashed a launch party for Franzen's ultra-buzzy novel 'Freedom,' claiming to work for Puffin Books. They subsequently approached the 51-year-old author, grabbed his glasses off his face, and handed him a note before fleeing into London's Kensington Gardens.
The brief note read, "$100,000 -- Your glasses are yours again!" A Hotmail address was left.
One of the burglars was swiftly apprehended in bushes outside the gallery. John Bond of Press Books said, "Franzen got his glasses back and will not be pressing charges as he sees it all as a harmless prank."
A London bookstore, The Big Green Bookshop, fraudulently listed "Franzen's" glasses on Ebay, resulting in some news outlets reporting the gag as fact.
Franzen, no stranger to controversy after Oprah rescinded an invitation for him to appear on her show after selecting his 2001 opus 'The Corrections' for her book club, had a tumultuous week leading up to the glasses caper. Part of his trip to the UK was to address a series of typesetting errors in the British version of 'Freedom'; he was also late for a BBC interview after a taxi bailed on him.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Diana Douglas, first wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Stars in stripes
- Illinois city condemns Dick Van Dyke's childhood home
- U.K. Box Office: ‘Amy' Scores Biggest Opening for Homegrown Doc of All Time
- South Korean Actress, National Icon Kang Soo-yeon Named Busan Festival Co-Director
- U.K. Minister Accuses BBC of Having "Imperial" Ambitions
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Weekend Box Office: 'Magic Mike XXL' and 'Terminator Genisys' Lose Out to 'Jurassic World'
- 9 Reasons Why 'Independence Day' Is Still Cool As Sh--
- 'Victor Frankenstein' First Photo Shows James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe in Peril