Author Jonathan Franzen's Glasses Stolen, Ransomed
By Zach Dionne Posted Oct 5th 2010 12:41PM
According to TheBookseller.com, two men gatecrashed a launch party for Franzen's ultra-buzzy novel 'Freedom,' claiming to work for Puffin Books. They subsequently approached the 51-year-old author, grabbed his glasses off his face, and handed him a note before fleeing into London's Kensington Gardens.
The brief note read, "$100,000 -- Your glasses are yours again!" A Hotmail address was left.
One of the burglars was swiftly apprehended in bushes outside the gallery. John Bond of Press Books said, "Franzen got his glasses back and will not be pressing charges as he sees it all as a harmless prank."
A London bookstore, The Big Green Bookshop, fraudulently listed "Franzen's" glasses on Ebay, resulting in some news outlets reporting the gag as fact.
Franzen, no stranger to controversy after Oprah rescinded an invitation for him to appear on her show after selecting his 2001 opus 'The Corrections' for her book club, had a tumultuous week leading up to the glasses caper. Part of his trip to the UK was to address a series of typesetting errors in the British version of 'Freedom'; he was also late for a BBC interview after a taxi bailed on him.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Justin Bieber, Orlando Bloom Fight: The Greatest Reactions (Photos)
- Wilton Schiller, Who Produced the Record-Breaking Episode of 'The Fugitive,' Dies at 95
- DirecTV's 'Kingdom' Trailer: Frank Grillo, Nick Jonas Star in MMA Drama (Video)
- Entertainment Geekly: Or maybe ?Twilight' was the best thing to happen to Comic-Con
- ?Mindy Project' star Adam Pally reveals which celeb sex tape he owns
- Recast ?Game of Thrones' princess posts hilarious video reaction
- The 'Kingdom' Trailer Takes Mixed Martial Arts to the Next Level (VIDEO)
- William Shatner Might Be Bringing the Funny to 'Ted 2'
- Peter Jackson Would Love to See a Guillermo del Toro-Directed 'Skull Island'