Author Jonathan Franzen's Glasses Stolen, Ransomed
By Zach Dionne Posted Oct 5th 2010 12:41PM
According to TheBookseller.com, two men gatecrashed a launch party for Franzen's ultra-buzzy novel 'Freedom,' claiming to work for Puffin Books. They subsequently approached the 51-year-old author, grabbed his glasses off his face, and handed him a note before fleeing into London's Kensington Gardens.
The brief note read, "$100,000 -- Your glasses are yours again!" A Hotmail address was left.
One of the burglars was swiftly apprehended in bushes outside the gallery. John Bond of Press Books said, "Franzen got his glasses back and will not be pressing charges as he sees it all as a harmless prank."
A London bookstore, The Big Green Bookshop, fraudulently listed "Franzen's" glasses on Ebay, resulting in some news outlets reporting the gag as fact.
Franzen, no stranger to controversy after Oprah rescinded an invitation for him to appear on her show after selecting his 2001 opus 'The Corrections' for her book club, had a tumultuous week leading up to the glasses caper. Part of his trip to the UK was to address a series of typesetting errors in the British version of 'Freedom'; he was also late for a BBC interview after a taxi bailed on him.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Watch Alex Rip Arizona's Head Off (Exclusive Video)
- 'Reign': Queen Mary and Lola's Friendship Is on the Rocks (Exclusive)
- 'Red Band Society' Stages 'Privileged' Reunion (Exclusive)
- Zach Galifianakis gets a little too real with Brad Pitt on ?Between Two Ferns'
- See Marvel's latest mystery teaser, ?Inhumans: Attilan Rising'
- When Taylor Swift's ?Out of the Woods' meets ?Circle of Life,' everything makes sense
- The 31 Best Comedies on Netflix Right Now
- These Action Movie Mistakes Are Far From Winning
- Let Tinker Bell Introduce You to the 'Legend of the NeverBeast' (EXCLUSIVE)