'Burning Dan,' Brother of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Dies
By Maggie Coughlan Posted Oct 6th 2010 10:02AM
Joseph announced his brother's passing on Twitter on Tuesday evening, "My super hero brother @burningdan 1974-2010. Celebrate his life here ~ http://bit.ly/dBTMQ8 because he's f*cking awesome."
The cause of death is unknown at this time, however officials from the L.A. County Coroner's office told RadarOnline.com that drugs are suspected to have played a role. Coroner's spokesperson Ed Winter said Gordon-Levitt was pronounced dead on Oct. 4 at 3:58 a.m. in Hollywood. Two friends were with him at the time.
"Burning Dan" taught flow arts, which he described as, "a combination of performance art and dance and meditation and yoga and sort of self-transformation, to give you a fun way of doing something that's really good for you and helps you be an even smoother, more awesome person than you already were," in a recent interview with PopEater.
Dan started a school in Los Angeles to share his passion of flow arts."It's one of the things I love about the flow arts community around the world -- is how giving, generous and sharing everybody is," he said of his profession.
The two brothers shared a close relationship, conceptualizing hitRECORD.org, an online community of artists and filmmakers, together and eventually seeing it evolve into a popular destination for creatives.
"BURNING dAN brightly embodied that bold beastly bliss sometimes referred to as "the creative spirit." He was my chief collaborator on the foundational incarnations of hitRECord.org over the years and continues to inspire us ever the more. He would absolutely positively insist that we not let this bad news deter us on our collective mission. That said, I might not feel up to it for a little while," Gordon-Levitt wrote of his brother on hitRECord.org on Tuesday.
As Joseph's older brother, Dan beamed over the actor's success saying, "It's wonderful to be mistaken for him. He taught me to question the relationships other people have with their siblings because he would be my favorite person in the world even if I wasn't lucky enough to know him as my brother. He's just awesome in every way that I pay attention to. I ask myself 'do I love him because he's my brother or is he really that awesome?' He's really, really awesome."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- Robin Williams' son remembers his dad and Christopher Reeve's friendship
- 'Walking Dead's' Norman Reedus: Daryl Will Do Anything to Save Beth and Carol
- How Long Would You Survive in the Hunger Games? Take THR's Quiz
- AMAs Beauty: You, Too, Can Make Elizabeth Banks' Custom Lip Color
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' Soars to the Top Spot
- 10 of the Greatest Movie Transformations Ever
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Family Review: 5 Things Every Parent Should Know