'Dora the Explorer' Says Nickelodeon Ripped Her Off
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 7th 2010 10:45AM
Lawyers for 14-year-old Caitlin Sanchez told the New York Daily News that the actress and her parents were pressured into signing a "convoluted and inscrutable contract" that cheated her out of "millions, perhaps tens of millions."
The suit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court on Wednesday, names Nickelodeon, MTV Networks and Viacom International as defendants. Sanchez and her parents believe the young star was not compensated properly for hundreds of hours of studio time, in addition to personal appearances and profits from the show's merchandising empire.
"Defendants used Caitlin, unjustly enriching themselves of millions of dollars in profits from the series and branded products, which Caitlin preformed and promoted," the suit claims.
Watch a Clip from 'Dora'
Sanchez became Dora, a Latina character, in 2007, and her contract promised $5,115 per episode and a cut from residuals and merchandising. The Sanchez's claim that their own agent, Jason Bercy, gave them only 22 minutes to review the contract and threatened that if they didn't sign immediately, Nick would "pass on Caitlin for the part of Dora."
Bercy is not named in the suit and when contacted declined to comment. A legal representative for Viacom calls the suit "completely without merit."
According to her IMDB page, Sanchez has also starred in four 'Dora' TV movies and had a guest role on the short-lived show 'Lipstick Jungle.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner, North West Pet Giraffe at San Diego Zoo: Adorable Picture
- Ian Somerhalder, Nikki Reed Move in Together After Three Weeks of Dating
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Oops! Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Website Slapped With A Lawsuit: Read The Claims Goop Stole Diet Detective's Name
- Lauren Bacall leaves $10,000 for her beloved dog in will
- Pam Anderson criticizes ALS ice bucket challenge
- Is Cameron Diaz ready to marry rocker Benji Madden?