'Dora the Explorer' Says Nickelodeon Ripped Her Off
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 7th 2010 10:45AM
Lawyers for 14-year-old Caitlin Sanchez told the New York Daily News that the actress and her parents were pressured into signing a "convoluted and inscrutable contract" that cheated her out of "millions, perhaps tens of millions."
The suit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court on Wednesday, names Nickelodeon, MTV Networks and Viacom International as defendants. Sanchez and her parents believe the young star was not compensated properly for hundreds of hours of studio time, in addition to personal appearances and profits from the show's merchandising empire.
"Defendants used Caitlin, unjustly enriching themselves of millions of dollars in profits from the series and branded products, which Caitlin preformed and promoted," the suit claims.
Watch a Clip from 'Dora'
Sanchez became Dora, a Latina character, in 2007, and her contract promised $5,115 per episode and a cut from residuals and merchandising. The Sanchez's claim that their own agent, Jason Bercy, gave them only 22 minutes to review the contract and threatened that if they didn't sign immediately, Nick would "pass on Caitlin for the part of Dora."
Bercy is not named in the suit and when contacted declined to comment. A legal representative for Viacom calls the suit "completely without merit."
According to her IMDB page, Sanchez has also starred in four 'Dora' TV movies and had a guest role on the short-lived show 'Lipstick Jungle.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jenny McCarthy: I've Already Lost My Wedding Ring, Haven't Seen The View
- George the Goldfish Swims After $200 Surgery to Remove Life-Threatening Tumor
- Nick Jonas No Longer Wears Purity Ring, Had "Intense" Religious Journey
- Changing Her Tune! Kylie Jenner Ditching Modeling To Become A Pop Star ? She Thinks She's ?The Next Katy Perry,' Says Friend
- Melissa Rivers ?Absolutely' Will File Lawsuits Against Yorkville Endoscopy, Source Says ? Joan Rivers ?Didn't Have To Die'
- Golden Years: David Bowie A Sexual Wild-man In Earlier Days, According To New Book
- Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie' adds Mark Feuerstein for final season
- Ecuador's PR firm reportedly spent more than $500G on celebrity endorsements
- U2 haters prompt Apple to release tool to remove free album