Anderson Cooper Blasts New Vince Vaughn Trailer
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 8th 2010 07:27AM
In a discussion with Ellen DeGeneres, Cooper took issue with the movie's trailer, in which Vince Vaughn's character uses the word "gay" in a derogatory fashion, although he never named the actor or the actual film.
"I was sitting in a movie theater over the weekend and there was a preview of a movie, and in it, the actor said, 'That's so gay,' and I was shocked that not only that they put it in the movie, but that they thought that it was okay to put that in a preview for the movie to get people to go and see it," he told Ellen.
UPDATE: Universal has agreed to remove the "so gay" line from the trailer. Full Story
"I just find those words, those terms, we've got to do something to make those words unacceptable because those words are hurting kids. Someone else I talked to recently said that the words people use and the things people say about other kids online, it enters into their internal dialogue," he added.
"And when you're a kid, it can change the way you see yourself and the way you think about yourself, and the worth that you give to yourself. I think we need to really focus on what language we're using and how we're treating these kids," the CNN anchor continued.
Universal Studios is reportedly caught off guard by the spate of criticism about the trailer. A studio insider tells Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke that the studio "showed the trailer to gay groups like GLAAD and gay executives here and gays in our marketing department and no one was offended and everyone had a positive response."
But a representative of GLAAD tells PopEater that they were never on board.
"That is inaccurate," spokesman Richard Ferraro said in response to reports that the gay rights group approved. "GLAAD does not and did not support this trailer."
Many celebrities, including Cooper and DeGeneres, have spoken out against bullying following the recent suicides of several gay teens.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Is Officially a Soccer Mom: New North West Photos!
- Avril Lavigne Wants to Make Movies, Has a Pizza Named After Her: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Caitlyn Jenner's Conservative Views Concern Transgender Friends in New I Am Cait Sneak Peek: Watch
- Rapper Travis Scott arrested after encouraging fans to jump barricades at show
- Family feud in evidence at Bobbi Kristina funeral
- Wrestling legend Roddy Piper dead at 61
- Rihanna Shines Bright While Wearing Yellow Bikini and Flashy Jewelry on Vacation—See the Sexy Pic!
- Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig and the Ghostbusters Cast Surprise Patients at Boston Children's Hospital
- Kate Middleton Is Officially an Advanced Scuba Diver, Can Now Swim 98 Feet Underwater With Prince William