Anderson Cooper Blasts New Vince Vaughn Trailer
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 8th 2010 07:27AM
In a discussion with Ellen DeGeneres, Cooper took issue with the movie's trailer, in which Vince Vaughn's character uses the word "gay" in a derogatory fashion, although he never named the actor or the actual film.
"I was sitting in a movie theater over the weekend and there was a preview of a movie, and in it, the actor said, 'That's so gay,' and I was shocked that not only that they put it in the movie, but that they thought that it was okay to put that in a preview for the movie to get people to go and see it," he told Ellen.
UPDATE: Universal has agreed to remove the "so gay" line from the trailer. Full Story
"I just find those words, those terms, we've got to do something to make those words unacceptable because those words are hurting kids. Someone else I talked to recently said that the words people use and the things people say about other kids online, it enters into their internal dialogue," he added.
"And when you're a kid, it can change the way you see yourself and the way you think about yourself, and the worth that you give to yourself. I think we need to really focus on what language we're using and how we're treating these kids," the CNN anchor continued.
Universal Studios is reportedly caught off guard by the spate of criticism about the trailer. A studio insider tells Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke that the studio "showed the trailer to gay groups like GLAAD and gay executives here and gays in our marketing department and no one was offended and everyone had a positive response."
But a representative of GLAAD tells PopEater that they were never on board.
"That is inaccurate," spokesman Richard Ferraro said in response to reports that the gay rights group approved. "GLAAD does not and did not support this trailer."
Many celebrities, including Cooper and DeGeneres, have spoken out against bullying following the recent suicides of several gay teens.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Linda Perry, Sara Gilbert Writing a Children's Album With Their Kids
- Lynne Spears Jams Out to Britney Spears' "Toxic" in Funny Instagram Video From Jamie Lynn: Watch Now!
- Dukes of Hazzard Star John Schneider Slams TV Land for Pulling Reruns Over Confederate Flag
- Watch the first full 'Wet Hot American Summer' trailer
- Does Rihanna's NSFW 'Bitch Better Have My Money' video go too far?
- FOX411's star snaps of the day
- Amy Schumer Explains How Her Father's Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis Has Affected Her Romantic Relationships
- "Bitch Better Have My Money" Might Be Controversial, but The Navy Is All About It
- Teen Mom's Maci Bookout Gives Birth to Baby Girl—Find Out Her Name and See Her First Photos!