I Took a Nap and the Teen Moms Became Celebrities?
By Jo Piazza Posted Oct 8th 2010 04:00PM
I understand that the celebrity news hole is a bottomless pit, requiring more and more reality television stars and mistresses to feed its giant maw, but when I first watched 'Teen Mom' last year, I never imagined that Amber, Maci and Farrah would be as big as Spencer and Heidi.
It's been a long time coming, but reality stars have finally completed their body snatch of Hollywood.
Take a look at the top four USmagazine.com stories from Thursday, Oct. 7.
1. EXCLUSIVE: Angelina: 'Jersey Shore' Stars Put "Olive Oil, Grated Cheese" on My Bed
2. 'DC Housewife' Michaele Runs Out of Room Over White House Question
3. EXCLUSIVE: 'Teen Mom's' Amber Opens Up About Attacking Baby's Father
4. EXCLUSIVE: 'Teen Mom's' Maci Denies Ex's Cheating Claims
'Jersey Shore,' 'Real Housewives,' 'Teen Mom,' 'Teen Mom.' Nary a Jennifer Aniston or Jolie-Pitt in site. Imagine their relief.
So, what's the appeal of the teen moms? I decided to ask US Weekly senior editor Ian Drew.
"The ratings were big before we started covering them and they were hitting a note with our readers. Several of our staff members, including myself, are obsessed," Drew said. "The show consistently brings in around 4 million viewers and that number is growing every week."
Drew insists that the teen moms aren't merely the latest iteration of homely nobodies to become celebritized. He believes they are still real enough to be relatable to viewers and readers.
"There is no artifice with these women. There is no glam. It's one of the few reality shows where their celebrity doesn't encroach on it. I think MTV has been very careful not to make them into celebrities," Drew explained.
And the reason they keep making the cover of US? They're a money maker.
"The sales, of course, have been very high and the response has been great. Everyone knows someone in the situation like this," Drew said.
They do still seem to be almost like "real" or "regular" people, but that can't last for much longer. Amber already did her very star-like weight loss unveiling and it's only a matter of time before someone starts dating The Situation.
All that's really certain is that the people who star in actual movies and make music are off the hook for another weekly news cycle.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Is Officially a Soccer Mom: New North West Photos!
- Avril Lavigne Wants to Make Movies, Has a Pizza Named After Her: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Caitlyn Jenner's Conservative Views Concern Transgender Friends in New I Am Cait Sneak Peek: Watch
- Family feud in evidence at Bobbi Kristina funeral
- Wrestling legend Roddy Piper dead at 61
- Actress Valerie Harper out of hospital, resting with family
- Bill Nye the Science Guy Reads Mean Tweets and Fires Back at Global Warming Skeptics—Watch Now!
- Zayn Malik Breaks His Silence on One Direction's New Single "Drag Me Down"
- Lance Bass Thanks Firefighters Who Helped "Save Our Neighborhood" After Flames Reach His Backyard—Watch!