Al Pacino's Next Hair-Raising Role: Phil Spector
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 9th 2010 09:34AM
Headlining the still-untitled HBO film, 70-year-old Pacino will play the disgraced music legend (also age 70) who went to prison in 2009 for second-degree homocide, after Hollywood beauty Lana Clarkson was shot to death at age 40 inside Spector's Alhambra, Calif., mansion in 2003. Spector is now serving a sentence of 19 years to life (his case originally ended in a mistrial in 2007).
Pacino's agent, John L. Burnham, who also reps Mamet and Levinson, told the New York Times that the acclaimed actor "just saw a very interesting character to play, and he likes the sensibility of David and Barry."
An interesting character, indeed: As the mastermind behind dozens of Top 40 hits in the 1960's, Spector and his celebrated "Wall of Sound" technique in the recording studio were legendary. He wrote and produced the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," and produced "Be My Baby" for the Ronettes; the Bronx native also produced the Beatles' final album, 'Let it Be.' He was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.
Spector's fall from grace during this decade, after years of being a music industry recluse, was stunning to Hollywood insiders and pop music fans, and his court appearances made sensational headlines, thanks in part to the senior citizen's eye-popping hair styles.
Pacino, meanwhile, certainly seems to thrive when he takes his career in a "true crime" direction. Last month, the Deadline New York blog reported that he may sign on to film a biopic with Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro about real-life mobster Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North in Skunk Costume; See How the Today Show Celebrated Halloween: Top 5 Stories
- Heidi Klum Dresses as a Butterfly for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Three very big secrets from the set of ?The Big Bang Theory'
- Amanda Bynes to remain under her mom's care
- 30 years later, ?CHiPs' cast reunites
- Happy Halloween! Check Out Kim Kardashian, Lea Michele, Justin Bieber and More Stars in Costume!
- Melanie Griffith on Who She'd Like to Date Next and Why She'll Never Watch Daughter Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey
- Chris Brown Talks All Things Rihanna: The Assault, Their Relationship, Drake and More—Watch Now!