Al Pacino's Next Hair-Raising Role: Phil Spector
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 9th 2010 09:34AM
Headlining the still-untitled HBO film, 70-year-old Pacino will play the disgraced music legend (also age 70) who went to prison in 2009 for second-degree homocide, after Hollywood beauty Lana Clarkson was shot to death at age 40 inside Spector's Alhambra, Calif., mansion in 2003. Spector is now serving a sentence of 19 years to life (his case originally ended in a mistrial in 2007).
Pacino's agent, John L. Burnham, who also reps Mamet and Levinson, told the New York Times that the acclaimed actor "just saw a very interesting character to play, and he likes the sensibility of David and Barry."
An interesting character, indeed: As the mastermind behind dozens of Top 40 hits in the 1960's, Spector and his celebrated "Wall of Sound" technique in the recording studio were legendary. He wrote and produced the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," and produced "Be My Baby" for the Ronettes; the Bronx native also produced the Beatles' final album, 'Let it Be.' He was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.
Spector's fall from grace during this decade, after years of being a music industry recluse, was stunning to Hollywood insiders and pop music fans, and his court appearances made sensational headlines, thanks in part to the senior citizen's eye-popping hair styles.
Pacino, meanwhile, certainly seems to thrive when he takes his career in a "true crime" direction. Last month, the Deadline New York blog reported that he may sign on to film a biopic with Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro about real-life mobster Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Nicole Kidman's Grace of Monaco Lifetime Movie Sure Was Pretty (But Not Very Good)
- Love and Hip Hop Wedding: Inside Yandy Smith and Mendeecees Harris' Live Ceremony
- Teen Mom OG Finale Recap: Farrah Abraham, Maci Bookout Push for Engagements, Come Up Ring-less
- Family of BB King alleges that blues legend was poisoned by manager, assistant
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- The Bachelorette Tries Boxing, Does Comedy, Reminds Us That Amy Schumer Is Our Queen
- Kanye West's Anniversary Tweet to Kim Kardashian Is 1 Day Late, But Still Pretty Great—See for Yourself!
- Lena Dunham Shows Off Her Figure in Nothing But Lingerie: "I Think I Will Wear It to Dinner"