Al Pacino's Next Hair-Raising Role: Phil Spector
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 9th 2010 09:34AM
Headlining the still-untitled HBO film, 70-year-old Pacino will play the disgraced music legend (also age 70) who went to prison in 2009 for second-degree homocide, after Hollywood beauty Lana Clarkson was shot to death at age 40 inside Spector's Alhambra, Calif., mansion in 2003. Spector is now serving a sentence of 19 years to life (his case originally ended in a mistrial in 2007).
Pacino's agent, John L. Burnham, who also reps Mamet and Levinson, told the New York Times that the acclaimed actor "just saw a very interesting character to play, and he likes the sensibility of David and Barry."
An interesting character, indeed: As the mastermind behind dozens of Top 40 hits in the 1960's, Spector and his celebrated "Wall of Sound" technique in the recording studio were legendary. He wrote and produced the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," and produced "Be My Baby" for the Ronettes; the Bronx native also produced the Beatles' final album, 'Let it Be.' He was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.
Spector's fall from grace during this decade, after years of being a music industry recluse, was stunning to Hollywood insiders and pop music fans, and his court appearances made sensational headlines, thanks in part to the senior citizen's eye-popping hair styles.
Pacino, meanwhile, certainly seems to thrive when he takes his career in a "true crime" direction. Last month, the Deadline New York blog reported that he may sign on to film a biopic with Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro about real-life mobster Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jessica Alba Gives Thanksgiving Turkey Tips, Spice Up Turkey Day With Jalapeno Peppers
- Jake Gyllenhaal Gives David Letterman "The Salmon," Slaps Show Host Between the Legs
- Kendra Wilkinson Breaks Down on I'm A Celebrity Over Hank Baskett's Depression, "He Came To Bed Crying, I Wasn't There For Him"
- Bollywood actress sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in Pakistan
- FOX411's pic of the day
- '19 Kids & Counting's' cousin Amy Duggar reaches for Nashville dreams
- Jessica Simpson Shares Adorable Photo of "Wild Turkeys" Maxwell and Ace at the Lake—See the Cute Pic!
- Remembering Paul Walker One Year Later: Cody Walker Reflects on His Brother's Life and Legacy
- Bill Cosby Joke Gone Wrong: Roseanne Barr Tweets Then Deletes Picture Post About Getting Into a "Tussle" With the Actor