Al Pacino's Next Hair-Raising Role: Phil Spector
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 9th 2010 09:34AM
Headlining the still-untitled HBO film, 70-year-old Pacino will play the disgraced music legend (also age 70) who went to prison in 2009 for second-degree homocide, after Hollywood beauty Lana Clarkson was shot to death at age 40 inside Spector's Alhambra, Calif., mansion in 2003. Spector is now serving a sentence of 19 years to life (his case originally ended in a mistrial in 2007).
Pacino's agent, John L. Burnham, who also reps Mamet and Levinson, told the New York Times that the acclaimed actor "just saw a very interesting character to play, and he likes the sensibility of David and Barry."
An interesting character, indeed: As the mastermind behind dozens of Top 40 hits in the 1960's, Spector and his celebrated "Wall of Sound" technique in the recording studio were legendary. He wrote and produced the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling," and produced "Be My Baby" for the Ronettes; the Bronx native also produced the Beatles' final album, 'Let it Be.' He was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.
Spector's fall from grace during this decade, after years of being a music industry recluse, was stunning to Hollywood insiders and pop music fans, and his court appearances made sensational headlines, thanks in part to the senior citizen's eye-popping hair styles.
Pacino, meanwhile, certainly seems to thrive when he takes his career in a "true crime" direction. Last month, the Deadline New York blog reported that he may sign on to film a biopic with Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro about real-life mobster Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tila Tequila Is Pregnant, Kim Kardashian Wears Pink Jumpsuit: Top Weekend Stories
- Angelina Jolie Talks Maleficent in New Featurette: "We've Respected the Classic"
- Ashton Kutcher, Pregnant Mila Kunis Visit New Orleans Brewery: Picture
- Acting For The Court? Oscar Pistorius Accused Of Taking Drama Lessons Before His Trial
- Jenelle Evans Picks Her Baby Daddy Up From Jail After He Gets Early Release
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for third week
- Tori admits hasn't had sex with Dean since scandal broke