Imagine Saying 'Happy 70th Birthday, John Lennon'
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 9th 2010 01:38PM
It's not easy to fathom, but John Lennon, who was born in Liverpool, England, on Oct. 9, 1940, would be 70 years old today.
To celebrate the milestone, a new monument was unveiled in Liverpool today to honor the singer-songwriter.
"We come here with our hearts to honor Dad and to pray for peace and say 'thank you' to each and every one of you," said Julian Lennon, 47. He attended with his 71-year-old mum (Lennon's first wife), Cynthia Lennon, who first met John Lennon at Liverpool Art College.
"Don't be morbid, enjoy the joy that he had, and what we all have from his music," she told the hometown crowd.
Fans across the globe are remembering the Beatles co-founder, who was fatally shot outside his New York City apartment building by a deranged stranger in 1980, shortly after turning 40.
Yoko Ono has asked YouTube viewers to post their own tributes, which you can watch here. PBS has produced the new documentary 'LENNONNYC' about the musician's final years, and all Lennon's solo albums have been remastered and re-released for the occasion. Today, a time capsule in Lennon's honor was dedicated at Cleveland's Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, to capture the Brit's wide-ranging influence on pop culture.
Beatles buffs are also lining up for 'Nowhere Boy,' the new biopic starring Aaron Johnson that traces Lennon's young-adult years in Liverpool.
Symbolic of Lennon's 'Give Peace a Chance' legacy, family members recently came together for a rare gathering, sharing warm hugs -- including his first and second wives, Cynthia Lennon and Yoko Ono, as well as her son Sean Lennon -- in order to show support for Julian Lennon's new photography exhibit in New York City.
"Both of them are very talented sons," said Yoko Ono, standing between Lennon's offspring.
Julian Lennon talked about the special event in this CBS News clip:
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Maxim names annual Hometown Hottie: And the winner is...
- What do Adam Levine and Wilmer Valderrama have in common? ObamaCare
- One Direction fans attack Lorde's boyfriend with racist tweets
- The Golden Globe Comedy and Musical nominees: Where laughter goes to die
- Lea Michele opens up about Cory Monteith to Ellen DeGeneres
- Golden Globe nominations: Reactions from Matthew McConaughey, Kerry Washington & more
- Breakup Alert! Madonna Is Single Again
- Lea Michele Reveals She's Still ?Trying' to Figure Things Out After Losing Cory Monteith
- Golden Globe Nominations 2014: '12 Years,' ?American Hustle' Top the List