Did Anderson Go Easy on Eminem on '60 Minutes'?
By Rob Shuter Posted Oct 12th 2010 08:35AM
Is Anderson Cooper being a tad two-faced by slamming the "gay" slur by Vince Vaughn in 'The Dilemma,' but at the same time seemingly letting Eminem breeze through an interview last week for '60 Minutes'? Sources in the TV industry and at Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) certainly think so.
"It was very bad timing for Anderson to cause such a fuss about the ['Dilemma'] trailer and then sit down with Eminem," a TV insider tells me. "You can't have it both ways. To inject yourself into the debate about celebrities using the word 'gay' and then to be neutral about a performer who has rapped about hate is just hypocritical."
Earlier in the week, Anderson objected to what he perceived as a gay slur being used in a trailer for Universal's new film 'The Dilemma,' starring Vince Vaughn and Queen Latifah. Eventually, Universal agreed to pull the anti-gay joke from the trailer but is reportedly still on the fence about including it in the film.
Later that same week, the silver-haired newsman sat down with controversial rapper Eminem, and although he did question the performer about his oft-homophobic and violence-strewn lyrics, he never took a personal stand during his discussion with Eminem.
"I didn't just invent saying offensive things," Eminem said in the chat, which aired on Sunday. "The scene I came up in that word was thrown around so much. 'F****t' was thrown around to each other in battle."
He then added: "I don't have any problem with nobody, you know what I mean?"
But that was the end of the aired discussion -- no follow-up or piercing and personal observation from Anderson. A member of the GLAAD, who asked not to be named, took a hard line against Anderson for not going harder on Eminem in the interview.
"If Anderson really wanted to stand up and defend the gay community," the GLAAD member tells me, "he would have told '60 Minutes' that he would only interview Eminem if he could tell him exactly what he personally thought about his disgusting lyrics."
What do you think? Should Anderson have taken a stand or did he do the right thing by being a neutral newsman in the interview?
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie' adds Mark Feuerstein for final season
- Ecuador's PR firm reportedly spent more than $500G on celebrity endorsements
- U2 haters prompt Apple to release tool to remove free album
- This ?Scandal' clothing line lets you dress just like Olivia Pope
- ?Orange Is the New Black' meets ?Golden Girls' in new mash-up video
- Bruce Springsteen headlines Stand Up For Heroes event
- Tracey Edmonds Gets ?The Real' Treatment
- ?The View' Heats Up! Rosie O'Donnell and Nicolle Wallace Clash
- Barbra Streisand Is Ready for a Female President
- Eva Mendes, Ryan Gosling Welcome First Child Together; Julie Chen Reveals Her Grandfather Was a Polygamist: Top 5 Stories
- Joan Rivers: Doctor Took Selfie With Unconscious Comedian, Performed Biopsy Without Consent -- Details
- Diane Keaton Reveals Her Massive Girl Crush on Amy Poehler -- Read Her Funny Tweets Here!