Did Anderson Go Easy on Eminem on '60 Minutes'?
By Rob Shuter Posted Oct 12th 2010 08:35AM
Is Anderson Cooper being a tad two-faced by slamming the "gay" slur by Vince Vaughn in 'The Dilemma,' but at the same time seemingly letting Eminem breeze through an interview last week for '60 Minutes'? Sources in the TV industry and at Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) certainly think so.
"It was very bad timing for Anderson to cause such a fuss about the ['Dilemma'] trailer and then sit down with Eminem," a TV insider tells me. "You can't have it both ways. To inject yourself into the debate about celebrities using the word 'gay' and then to be neutral about a performer who has rapped about hate is just hypocritical."
Earlier in the week, Anderson objected to what he perceived as a gay slur being used in a trailer for Universal's new film 'The Dilemma,' starring Vince Vaughn and Queen Latifah. Eventually, Universal agreed to pull the anti-gay joke from the trailer but is reportedly still on the fence about including it in the film.
Later that same week, the silver-haired newsman sat down with controversial rapper Eminem, and although he did question the performer about his oft-homophobic and violence-strewn lyrics, he never took a personal stand during his discussion with Eminem.
"I didn't just invent saying offensive things," Eminem said in the chat, which aired on Sunday. "The scene I came up in that word was thrown around so much. 'F****t' was thrown around to each other in battle."
He then added: "I don't have any problem with nobody, you know what I mean?"
But that was the end of the aired discussion -- no follow-up or piercing and personal observation from Anderson. A member of the GLAAD, who asked not to be named, took a hard line against Anderson for not going harder on Eminem in the interview.
"If Anderson really wanted to stand up and defend the gay community," the GLAAD member tells me, "he would have told '60 Minutes' that he would only interview Eminem if he could tell him exactly what he personally thought about his disgusting lyrics."
What do you think? Should Anderson have taken a stand or did he do the right thing by being a neutral newsman in the interview?
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ryan Phillippe: I've only made 5 good movies
- Remember when Carmen Electra married Dennis Rodman...
- 'Women in War': Soldiers, pilots, spies - you name it, women do it
- Jimmy Kimmel makes ?Fury' infinitely cuter by adding Furbys
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Tori Spelling Rushed to Hospital, Placed in Quarantine
- Designer Oscar de la Renta Dead at 82
- Extra Scoop: Watch Jason Momoa's Super Intense ?GoT' Audition Tape
- Bradley Cooper, Jimmy Fallon Can't Quit Giggling in Funny Interview: Watch Now!
- Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa, Woman Stuck in Chimney of Her Online Boyfriend's House, Rescued, Arrested
- Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles Exclusive Sneak Peek: Wedding Planning Goes on Hold When Heather Bilyeu Realizes Josh Altman Has Changed