Ellen's Dilemma: Promote Vince Vaughn's Film After 'Gay' Dustup?
By Rob Shuter Posted Oct 14th 2010 06:50AM
Universal may have agreed to remove the now-infamous "gay" line from the trailer for Vince Vaughn's new movie 'The Dilemma,' but I'm hearing that this concession won't stop influential TV hosts like Ellen DeGeneres and Anderson Cooper from giving the film the promotional cold shoulder.
"Ellen is a hero for equality. No way would she agree to have Vince on her show to promote a film that still hasn't removed a homophobic scene," a TV insider tells me. "If Universal thinks cutting the offensive five-second clip from the trailer but ignoring that it remains in the film would fix anything they are very much mistaken."
It's not just Ellen that plans to take a stand against 'The Dilemma.' Sources tell me CNN anchor Copper, who initially raised concerns about a bad gay joke he saw in a film trailer (he never directly mentioned 'The Dilemma' or Vaughn) while appearing as a guest on Ellen's show, also plans to give neither the film nor its stars any promotion on his CNN show or on any of the lighter-fare programs he frequently guest-hosts.
After getting flak for his '60 Minutes' interview with Eminem, a TV source tells me, "The last thing in the world he wants to do is open himself up to more criticism for promoting this film," adding that a Vaughn interview would reek of hypocrisy.
As PopEater reported, after criticism from the media and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), Universal removed a trailer for the film, in which Vaughn's character calls electric cars "gay" twice. The studio cut the line and put out a new trailer.
So far, Vince himself has remained silent about the gay slur storm, however, one person I'm told who would be happy to hear his side of the story is FOX News' marquee star Bill O'Reilly.
Good for you, Ellen!
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- TV News -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Ellen DeGeneres
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gay gun activists: Growing LGBT push to support the Second Amendment
- Hidden bra camera shows woman how often breasts are ogled
- Alyssa Milano is leaving 'Mistresses'
- How To Get Perfect Paris Party Cleavage, According to the Kardashian's Stylist
- Ships Ahoy! 'Pirates of the Caribbean' 5 Sets Sail for Australian Shoot
- Sarah Silverman Pretends She's Tina Fey in 'SNL' Promos
- Michael Jackson's ?Thriller' video to be released in 3D
- How one musician makes music from the sounds of YouTube
- ?Doctor Zhivago' comes to Broadway spring 2015
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Opening Credits Are as Creepy as You'd Expect (VIDEO)
- Rosamund Pike on the Joys of Being David Fincher's 'Gone Girl'
- Is Ethan Hawke Becoming 'Doctor Strange'?