Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar Walk Off 'View' Set While Talking to Bill O'Reilly
By PopEater Staff Posted Oct 14th 2010 12:15PM
"The mosque down here on 9/11. That's inappropriate," O'Reilly said of the planned Islamic community center being built near the site of the former World Trade Center.
"Sure, they have a right to do it," he continued. "But it's inappropriate because a lot of the 9/11 families who I know, say, 'Look, we don't want that.'"
When Joy, Whoopi and the other ladies expressed their opposition to 'The O'Reilly Factor' star's opinion, he attempted to shut them down.
"Listen to me because you'll learn," he exclaimed, adding that he believes President Obama's numbers are falling because of his unwillingness to comment on "the wisdom of" building the community center.
"You're saying that Americans are not smart enough to recognize that while it is part of our Constitution to say freedom of religion and freedom to worship and there were 70 families who are Muslim who also died in that building. So you're saying that his saying that they have the right to do it and not saying anymore is why his approval ratings have gone down?" Goldberg questioned.
The heated discussion went back and forth, but the blowout came after O'Reilly said "Muslims killed us on 9/11." Goldberg and Behar attempted to specify that it was an extremist sect within Islam and not the religion itself that attacked the U.S. When O'Reilly continued to argue his point, the enraged hosts walked off the set. Watch:
Barbara Walters then chimed in. "I want to say something to all of you. You have just seen what should not happen. We should be able to have discussions without washing our hands and screaming and walking off stage. I love my colleagues, but that should not have happened."
The two women did return to the show and were able to continue their conversation with the FOX News anchor, when the chatter turned to Christine O'Donnell and George W. Bush.
UPDATE: Just hours after Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg stormed off the set following Bill O'Reilly's controversial remarks, PopEater's Rob Shuter found himself backstage at Behar's hit HLN Show where the host seemed to have little idea about the media storm that was brewing.
"Really, is anyone talking about it? He's a idiot," Behar told PE. "I just couldn't sit there any longer and listen to him."
As for Behar and Goldberg heading back out to finish the interview with O'Reilly, Behar added, "No one made us go back out. After he apologized, Whoopi and I walked back out and sat down. I have no regrets."
Tune in tonight to HLN at 9:00 pm tonight to hear what else Behar has to say about the incident.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Mulan Live-Action Movie: Voice of Mulan Ming-Na Wen Campaigns for Role
- Rumer Willis Goes Practically Naked in a Bedazzled Nude Jumpsuit: See Her Sexy DWTS Getup
- Kim Kardashian Shares Her Contouring Road Map Via Instagram: See the Photo!
- Trevor Noah's tweets called 'anti-Semitic,' 'racist,' 'sexist'
- Man arrested for throwing banana peel at comedian Dave Chappelle
- Wilco cancels Indiana concert because of new Religious Freedom Act
- Versace Completely Rips Off T-Shirt Design from American Apparel! Yeah, You Read That Right—Get the Scoop!
- Kris Jenner Thinks Kourtney Kardashian Will Let Her "Rot For Decades"—See the KUWTK Clip!
- LOL! Valerie Bertinelli Gives Eric Stonestreet Quite a Look During Van Halen's Jimmy Kimmel Live Performance