George Clooney Pulling Out All the Stops to Save Lives
By Christine Fenno Posted Oct 17th 2010 01:35PM
But we can't help noticing that George Clooney is taking certain world events very seriously. And rightfully so.
In an Op-Ed in today's Washington Post, Clooney and activist John Pendergast call a region in Sudan "about the size of Connecticut" a potential flashpoint for war. Explaining the strife about to boil over, the co-writers describe their "fact-finding mission" visiting with locals, including children (see photos here). Clooney believes U.S. diplomacy must ensure that a January election in Sudan won't spark a new wave of widespread violence in a diputed oil-rich region.
The Oscar winner, well-versed in the Darfur genocide tragedy as co-founder of Not on Our Watch, took to NBC's 'Today' show recently to discuss the crisis.
And his mission also took Clooney to D.C., where he met with President Obama last week "and found him in command of the facts and seized with the urgency of the moment." It's our government's chance to save lives, and avoid spending billions of tax dollars in "a humanitarian clean-up operation down the road," according to the editorial.
It's been a very busy year for Clooney the activist, who accepted the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award at this year's Emmys for his work on launching massive fundraising telethons after natural disasters (Hurricane Katrina, the Asian Tsunami, the Haiti earthquake), among other causes.
MORE ABOUT George Clooney
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about George Clooney Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young taking break from group due to illness
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps from balcony in apparent suicide attempt, report says
- FOX News announces new daytime show 'Outnumbered'
- Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing 17-Year-Old Boy in 1999
- 'Arrow' Postmortem: EP Andrew Kreisberg on the Cure, Isabel 2.0 and Laurel's Secret
- Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo TV Series in the Works
- ?Arrow' recap: It's not easy being green
- ?Survivor: Cagayan': And the eliminated contestant is?
- Taylor Swift crashes superfan's bridal shower ? VIDEO
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Post-Credits Clip Teases 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- This Is the Reason 'Noah' Is Full of White People
- Chloe Grace Moretz Officially Joins 'The 5th Wave'