'Teen Mom' Under Investigation for Domestic Abuse in Front of Child
By John Mitchell Posted Oct 20th 2010 02:00PM
In Indiana and other states, domestic violence in front of a child under the age of 14 can result in felony charges, Caryn Burton, training director at the Coalition Against Domestic Violence, told HollywoodLife.com. There has also been some talk about whether the MTV camera crew's decision to not intervene in the attacks could merit misdemeanor charges, as it is similarly against Indiana state law to not report witnessed domestic or child abuse.
The story was addressed in-depth this morning on the 'Today' show.
According to Life & Style, whose headline this week refers to Amber as an "Out-of-Control MONSTER," Portwood has become something of a pariah in her hometown since her violent behavior aired on a Sept. 28 episode of 'Teen Mom.' In an editorial entitled "Reality TV Giving Wrong Impression of Anderson" in a local newspaper, The Herald Bulletin, an Anderson-based reporter had a lot to say about Amber's behavior.
"She kicked and punched him seven times before kicking him in the back as he walked down a flight of stairs ... Reality shows prey on featuring people who appear to be undereducated, narcissistic and full of anger," the piece reads. "'Teen Mom' is not the national image Anderson wants. We don't push our loved ones down stairs. We don't take pride that our teenage girls are 16 and pregnant. We don't all drop out of high school."
At the time, MTV told the Herald Bulletin: "Our role in 'Teen Mom' is to document how incredibly challenging and difficult being a teen parent is. In this particular instance, we monitored the situation to make sure no one was in imminent danger and that the child was not there."
However, the child, Leah, was present during at least one of several different altercations between Amber and Gary, and according to HollywoodLife.com, "Failure to report child abuse/neglect is a crime ... Indiana law requires any person who has reason to believe that a child is a victim of abuse or neglect to make an immediate oral report to DCS or to law enforcement."
When confronted about the situation by Pinsky, Amber broke down in tears and claimed to have "blacked out" during the incident, saying she only remembers striking Gary once. For his part, a source close to Gary told RadarOnline that he believes Amber is a "great mother."
'Teen Mom' Snapshots
'Teen Mom' star Maci and fellow teen mom Bristol Palin posed together at an event in New York City on May 5. Check out more 'Mom' photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Michael B. Jordan Talks Fantastic Four Reboot, Says He Wants to Direct
- CeeLo Green's TBS Show The Good Life Canceled After Controversial Rape Tweets
- Real Housewives of Atlanta New Cast: See All of the Women of Season 7 in First Photos
- Angelina Jolie Honors Late Mother At Her Nuptials To Brad Pitt
- In The Midst Of Drugging Scandal, TBS Cancels Cee Lo Green’s ‘The Good Life’
- ?RHOC' Casting Shakeup! Bravo ?Actively Casting' Tamra's Replacement After Drama-Filled Season ? Execs Want A ?Voice Of Reason,' Says Source
- Alleged hacked McKayla Maroney pics banned from Reddit; site says she would be underage in them
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
- Jill Duggar Reveals Her Pregnancy Cravings, Says "All Day" Morning Sickness Is ''Well Worth It''
- Khloé Kardashian Makes a Golf Bet With Bruce Jenner to Cut His Hair—See the Hilarious KUWTK Deleted Scene!
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Honored Her Late Mother Marcheline During Wedding: Get the Details