'Teen Mom' Under Investigation for Domestic Abuse in Front of Child
By John Mitchell Posted Oct 20th 2010 02:00PM
In Indiana and other states, domestic violence in front of a child under the age of 14 can result in felony charges, Caryn Burton, training director at the Coalition Against Domestic Violence, told HollywoodLife.com. There has also been some talk about whether the MTV camera crew's decision to not intervene in the attacks could merit misdemeanor charges, as it is similarly against Indiana state law to not report witnessed domestic or child abuse.
The story was addressed in-depth this morning on the 'Today' show.
According to Life & Style, whose headline this week refers to Amber as an "Out-of-Control MONSTER," Portwood has become something of a pariah in her hometown since her violent behavior aired on a Sept. 28 episode of 'Teen Mom.' In an editorial entitled "Reality TV Giving Wrong Impression of Anderson" in a local newspaper, The Herald Bulletin, an Anderson-based reporter had a lot to say about Amber's behavior.
"She kicked and punched him seven times before kicking him in the back as he walked down a flight of stairs ... Reality shows prey on featuring people who appear to be undereducated, narcissistic and full of anger," the piece reads. "'Teen Mom' is not the national image Anderson wants. We don't push our loved ones down stairs. We don't take pride that our teenage girls are 16 and pregnant. We don't all drop out of high school."
At the time, MTV told the Herald Bulletin: "Our role in 'Teen Mom' is to document how incredibly challenging and difficult being a teen parent is. In this particular instance, we monitored the situation to make sure no one was in imminent danger and that the child was not there."
However, the child, Leah, was present during at least one of several different altercations between Amber and Gary, and according to HollywoodLife.com, "Failure to report child abuse/neglect is a crime ... Indiana law requires any person who has reason to believe that a child is a victim of abuse or neglect to make an immediate oral report to DCS or to law enforcement."
When confronted about the situation by Pinsky, Amber broke down in tears and claimed to have "blacked out" during the incident, saying she only remembers striking Gary once. For his part, a source close to Gary told RadarOnline that he believes Amber is a "great mother."
'Teen Mom' Snapshots
'Teen Mom' star Maci and fellow teen mom Bristol Palin posed together at an event in New York City on May 5. Check out more 'Mom' photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Stars America Ferrera, Amber Tamblyn, Blake Lively, Alexis Bledel Reunite Over Brunch: Photo
- Jenni "JWoww" Farley Kisses Baby Daughter Meilani's Forehead as She Sleeps in Sweet Instagram Photo
- Jessica Simpson Looks Skinny In Sweet Birthday Photo With Husband Eric Johnson -- See the Pic!
- Brooks Ayers Says Incidents He Admitted To On Tape — Of Cheating & Aggression Toward Vicki Gunvalson — Occurred ‘Several Years Ago’
- Matt Damon to return to Jason Bourne franchise?
- 'Real Housewives' star Aviva Drescher accused of trying to extort artist
- Danielle Fishel: As a child star 'my curfew was 10 p.m.'
- August Alsina Collapses Off Stage During New York Concert—See the Scary Clip
- Ranking the Awkwardness on the Dancing with the Stars Premiere: What Made Us Cringe the Most?
- Sarah Palin Goes Makeup-Free—and Kinda, Sorta Gives the Finger—After Family Is Involved in Drunken Fight