Exclusive: Black Eyed Peas Use 'Time of My Life' for New Single, Original Songwriter Weighs In
By Zach Dionne Posted Oct 21st 2010 03:37PM
The Black Eyed Peas have taken their sampling game to the next level. Fergie, will.i.am and co. fused the hook of 'Dirty Dancing' theme '(I've Had) The Time of My Life' with their next single, 'The Time (The Dirty Bit).' The hip-hop group previously sampled Dick Dale's 'Misirlou,' AKA the 'Pulp Fiction' theme, for their 2006 hit 'Pump It.'
Will.i.am announced the single on his blog, adding, "We secretly shot our first video in LA last week before we left on our South American tour." 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' will lead the Peas' sixth studio release, 'The Beginning,' set to drop Nov. 30.
Asked for comment, 'Time of My Life' songwriter and Best Song Oscar-winner Franke Previte told us, "We got a request, they sent us an MP3 of what it's gonna be. I had no idea. The Peas actually sing the chorus -- it's not a sample."
UPDATE: Will.i.am posted the song. Hear it after the jump, and read the original songwriter's impression of the Black Eyed Peas' rendition.
Previte, who told PopEater in September that 'Time of My Life' continues to affect him on a daily basis, said he was excited when he first heard the Peas' interpretation. "I had a big grin on my face. Black Eyed Peas are a world-renowned group, so it's nice to get that kind of recognition for a song that's 23 years old. I have this saying -- if the Beatles wrote 'Yesterday' today, it'd be a hit. I feel pretty happy 'Time of My Life' is a song that keeps giving."
One of Previte's favorite recent iterations of his tune was in a Sandals, Jamaica advertisement. The musician recently released the song's original demos for digital purchase, with proceeds benefiting the Patrick Swayze Cancer Research Fund.
Hear 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' by the Black Eyed Peas here:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rapper Travis Scott arrested after encouraging fans to jump barricades at show
- Family feud in evidence at Bobbi Kristina funeral
- Wrestling legend Roddy Piper dead at 61
- Bobbi Kristina's Funeral Ends with a Whitney Houston Song
- Melt-Down: Bobbi Kristina's Aunt Leolah Booted from Funeral, Spews Accusations
- Valerie Harper's Upbeat Message to Fans
- Kim Kardashian Is Officially a Soccer Mom: New North West Photos!
- Avril Lavigne Wants to Make Movies, Has a Pizza Named After Her: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Caitlyn Jenner's Conservative Views Concern Transgender Friends in New I Am Cait Sneak Peek: Watch