Exclusive: Black Eyed Peas Use 'Time of My Life' for New Single, Original Songwriter Weighs In
By Zach Dionne Posted Oct 21st 2010 03:37PM
The Black Eyed Peas have taken their sampling game to the next level. Fergie, will.i.am and co. fused the hook of 'Dirty Dancing' theme '(I've Had) The Time of My Life' with their next single, 'The Time (The Dirty Bit).' The hip-hop group previously sampled Dick Dale's 'Misirlou,' AKA the 'Pulp Fiction' theme, for their 2006 hit 'Pump It.'
Will.i.am announced the single on his blog, adding, "We secretly shot our first video in LA last week before we left on our South American tour." 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' will lead the Peas' sixth studio release, 'The Beginning,' set to drop Nov. 30.
Asked for comment, 'Time of My Life' songwriter and Best Song Oscar-winner Franke Previte told us, "We got a request, they sent us an MP3 of what it's gonna be. I had no idea. The Peas actually sing the chorus -- it's not a sample."
UPDATE: Will.i.am posted the song. Hear it after the jump, and read the original songwriter's impression of the Black Eyed Peas' rendition.
Previte, who told PopEater in September that 'Time of My Life' continues to affect him on a daily basis, said he was excited when he first heard the Peas' interpretation. "I had a big grin on my face. Black Eyed Peas are a world-renowned group, so it's nice to get that kind of recognition for a song that's 23 years old. I have this saying -- if the Beatles wrote 'Yesterday' today, it'd be a hit. I feel pretty happy 'Time of My Life' is a song that keeps giving."
One of Previte's favorite recent iterations of his tune was in a Sandals, Jamaica advertisement. The musician recently released the song's original demos for digital purchase, with proceeds benefiting the Patrick Swayze Cancer Research Fund.
Hear 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' by the Black Eyed Peas here:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Danica McKellar joins 2016 Miss America competition as judge
- Hulk Hogan: I'm not a racist
- Chrissie Hynde slammed for saying some rape victims 'have to take responsibility'
- Extra Scoop: Josh Duggar ‘Lived a Covert and Extensive Life of Evil' Says Jessa's Father-in-Law
- Emmy Rossum Is Engaged to 'Mr. Robot' Creator Sam Esmail
- Brody Jenner Talks Deejaying and Caitlyn as He Helps Open SKY Waikiki
- Deborah Cox Once Got Paid to Get Off the Stage: 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Mean Girls Now Has a Candy Collection Inspired By Its Best Lines, Predictably Is So Fetch
- Surprise! Ne-Yo Is Engaged to His Girlfriend Crystal Renay — and They're Expecting a Child!