Exclusive: Black Eyed Peas Use 'Time of My Life' for New Single, Original Songwriter Weighs In
By Zach Dionne Posted Oct 21st 2010 03:37PM
The Black Eyed Peas have taken their sampling game to the next level. Fergie, will.i.am and co. fused the hook of 'Dirty Dancing' theme '(I've Had) The Time of My Life' with their next single, 'The Time (The Dirty Bit).' The hip-hop group previously sampled Dick Dale's 'Misirlou,' AKA the 'Pulp Fiction' theme, for their 2006 hit 'Pump It.'
Will.i.am announced the single on his blog, adding, "We secretly shot our first video in LA last week before we left on our South American tour." 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' will lead the Peas' sixth studio release, 'The Beginning,' set to drop Nov. 30.
Asked for comment, 'Time of My Life' songwriter and Best Song Oscar-winner Franke Previte told us, "We got a request, they sent us an MP3 of what it's gonna be. I had no idea. The Peas actually sing the chorus -- it's not a sample."
UPDATE: Will.i.am posted the song. Hear it after the jump, and read the original songwriter's impression of the Black Eyed Peas' rendition.
Previte, who told PopEater in September that 'Time of My Life' continues to affect him on a daily basis, said he was excited when he first heard the Peas' interpretation. "I had a big grin on my face. Black Eyed Peas are a world-renowned group, so it's nice to get that kind of recognition for a song that's 23 years old. I have this saying -- if the Beatles wrote 'Yesterday' today, it'd be a hit. I feel pretty happy 'Time of My Life' is a song that keeps giving."
One of Previte's favorite recent iterations of his tune was in a Sandals, Jamaica advertisement. The musician recently released the song's original demos for digital purchase, with proceeds benefiting the Patrick Swayze Cancer Research Fund.
Hear 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' by the Black Eyed Peas here:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'The Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Break Time: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' inspires racy lingerie line
- Candace Cameron Bure: 'I'm not going to get naked, and I'm not going to have sex scenes'
- Britney Spears is right: 5 reasons ?Chaotic' is her worst career move ever ? VIDEO
- ?Time' 2013 Person of the Year finalists: Miley Cyrus, President Obama among top 10
- ?Super Mario 3D World' review: The portly plumber's latest is totally pawesome
- Extra Scoop: Kendall Jenner and Harry Styles? Is It On?
- Attention Garth Brooks Fans? He's Going on Tour!
- Crushing on Cole Vosbury! 6 New Reasons We Love 'The Voice' Contestant