Exclusive: Black Eyed Peas Use 'Time of My Life' for New Single, Original Songwriter Weighs In
By Zach Dionne Posted Oct 21st 2010 03:37PM
The Black Eyed Peas have taken their sampling game to the next level. Fergie, will.i.am and co. fused the hook of 'Dirty Dancing' theme '(I've Had) The Time of My Life' with their next single, 'The Time (The Dirty Bit).' The hip-hop group previously sampled Dick Dale's 'Misirlou,' AKA the 'Pulp Fiction' theme, for their 2006 hit 'Pump It.'
Will.i.am announced the single on his blog, adding, "We secretly shot our first video in LA last week before we left on our South American tour." 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' will lead the Peas' sixth studio release, 'The Beginning,' set to drop Nov. 30.
Asked for comment, 'Time of My Life' songwriter and Best Song Oscar-winner Franke Previte told us, "We got a request, they sent us an MP3 of what it's gonna be. I had no idea. The Peas actually sing the chorus -- it's not a sample."
UPDATE: Will.i.am posted the song. Hear it after the jump, and read the original songwriter's impression of the Black Eyed Peas' rendition.
Previte, who told PopEater in September that 'Time of My Life' continues to affect him on a daily basis, said he was excited when he first heard the Peas' interpretation. "I had a big grin on my face. Black Eyed Peas are a world-renowned group, so it's nice to get that kind of recognition for a song that's 23 years old. I have this saying -- if the Beatles wrote 'Yesterday' today, it'd be a hit. I feel pretty happy 'Time of My Life' is a song that keeps giving."
One of Previte's favorite recent iterations of his tune was in a Sandals, Jamaica advertisement. The musician recently released the song's original demos for digital purchase, with proceeds benefiting the Patrick Swayze Cancer Research Fund.
Hear 'The Time (The Dirty Bit)' by the Black Eyed Peas here:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- '300' sequel tops box office with $45.1M debut
- Reality polygamy family says 'It's like coming out of the closet' doing the show
- Raunchy Johnny Carson sex tape reportedly being shopped around
- ?Late Night': Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski critique skaters at 30 Rock rink ? VIDEO
- ?Cosmos' then and now: The ?personal voyage' of Carl Sagan, the Hollywood cool of Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Khloe Kardashian Steps Out in Eye-Catching Ensemble, Mila Kunis Flashes Engagement Ring From Ashton Kutcher: Top Weekend Stories
- Jared Leto, Brother Shannon Leto Give Smoldering Stares in Bold, Printed Shirts: See the Sexy Picture
- Taylor Swift, Lorde Pal Around New York City: See the Goofy Picture