'Buried Life' Star Ben Nemtin Talks About His Struggle With Depression
By Stacy Jenel Smith Posted Oct 25th 2010 12:13PM
With such jaw-dropping accomplishments as playing basketball with Barack Obama and asking Taylor Swift on a date, the 'Buried Life' guys have a full-fledged phenomenon on their hands with the show. It was only in 2006 when Ben, Dave Lingwood and Jonnie and Duncan Penn set off from their native Canada in their purple bus, armed with not much more than 100-item bucket lists of things they wanted to do before they die. For each item they check off, they also perform a good deed by helping someone else accomplish something they want to do.
Monday's show has them traveling to Rochester, Minnesota, to "help a girl who has struggled with depression," reports Ben.
It's a subject close to his heart: "I struggled with depression in high school. I was lucky to have a community of support around me."
"We all struggle with something when we're younger. I think it's really normal for kids to go through some sort of struggle after high school, or while they're in high school, to try to find who they are. That's just what happened with me. I learned a lot from going through the hard times -- a lot about who I was and who I wanted to be. I ended up being stronger and more well-rounded because of that knowledge," says the handsome 26-year-old, who is dating 'The City' beauty Whitney Port.
► Duncan From 'The Buried Life' Knows What's on Obama's Bucket List
Nemtin says he found his way out of those dark days "one hand at a time, getting through. You slowly learn more about yourself. For me, it was my friends who were really important to my support. They were all going through similar things -- self-confidence issues. People think they're the only ones going through it, but everyone has their challenges. It's important to not to keep it inside, to talk about it. One of the things I really like about this episode is that people will see it's normal, not weird."
The 'Buried Life' guys are interactive with their Facebook fans. A read-through of the postings is touching, with viewers not only sharing their own lists, but talking about how the show has inspired them. Some even thank the guys for saving their lives.
"It's definitely humbling, that's for sure, but at the same time, that's really cool. That's why we started the project," he notes, " to ask as many people as possible, 'What do you want to do before you die?'
So, is marriage on his list?
"Yeah, definitely," replies Ben, who has already met Whitney's parents. (They did a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society together this past summer, and he says, "They're a great family.")
He adds, "But I don't think it will be anytime soon. I think that like, for marriage, I want to be with someone for a long time first."
Watch a Preview of Tonight's Show!
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gwyneth Paltrow Nominates Ex Chris Martin in Ice Bucket Challenge -- Watch Her Bikini Video Here!
- Meg Ryan and John Mellencamp Split After Three Years of Dating: Details
- Robert Pattinson Completed The Ice Bucket Challenge Using a Sauce Pan and Hose -- Watch His Adorable Video Shared By Zac Efron Here
- You've Got ? A Split! Meg Ryan Throws Herself Into Filming Upcoming Movie ?Ithaca' After John Mellencamp Break Up Report
- Elizabeth Vargas and husband split, report says
- Billy Crystal to present Emmy Awards tribute to Robin Williams
- 'Teen Barbie' Lolita Richi says appearance is all natural
- Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey's Marriage on the Rocks? Couple Has Been "Living Apart," Source Says
- Literal Coldplay! Gwyneth Paltrow Takes the Ice Bucket Challenge in a Bikini, Nominates Chris Martin!
- Rita Ora Gushes Over Mentor Jay Z, Weighs In on Her Past Relationship With Calvin Harris