Kim Kardashian's Very Lucrative 30th Birthday
By Jo Piazza Posted Oct 26th 2010 05:00PM
Turning 30 really paid off for Kim Kardashian. The reality starlet's birthday raked in more than a finance scion's bar mitzvah.
According to event experts, the birthday week probably netted the Kardashian clan around half a million dollars in paid appearances and endorsements, not to mention priceless publicity opportunities that will doubtlessly translate into more sales for various other Kardashian business pursuits.
Kim was a nightclub regular this week, having parties at Tao and the Venetian in Las Vegas and Glo in New York City. But the rub is that Kim isn't a nightclub kind of girl. In fact, she only makes those kinds of appearances, even on special occasions, when she is being paid quite well to grace an event with her presence.
"The appearances are good moneymakers," she once told Cosmopolitan magazine. "And they're also a great way for me to connect with people in places like Oklahoma, where I never would go otherwise. Those girls going to the clubs will be buying my perfume."
Our sources estimate that Kim was paid at least $100,000 for each of the appearances she made last week, with the other Kardashians (Khloe, Kourney, Bruce and Kris) paid in the $25,000 range.
In addition to appearance fees, she generated at least $1 million worth of publicity for her brand, which includes Quick Trim diet supplements, Dash clothing stores and Kim's rent-a-shoe business, Shoe Dazzle.
All of this birthday party publicity is akin to free advertising. Stretching the birthday over several weeks, Kim was able to win birthday spreads in not one but two cycles of the six celebrity weeklies. If ads average around $25,000 per page and Kim was in all six for two weeks in a row, that's $300,000 worth of brand Kim advertising right there.
Add in the time devoted to Kim's many birthdays on E!, 'Access Hollywood,' 'The Insider' and TMZ, and we're talking at least $1 million worth of exposure in the past 10 days alone.
As brand Kardashian proceeds, it wants to make sure that it is positioned to appeal to women of all ages, particularly the big spending thirtysomethings. With her many birthday parties, Kim was able to scream, "I'm one of you," without ever saying a word.
"It is extremely wise brand management to strategically adjust her image for her thirties," says Matt Rich, founder of Planet PR, a public relations firm that deals with celebrity marketing. "Kim was successful at announcing her age transition without ever saying a word. In fact, she never announced which birthday it was."
While this birthday overexposure probably boded well for Kim, she needs to be careful about continued stunts of this ilk because, after awhile, they do start to smell like Paris Hilton.
"There's a fine line between increasing brand equity and overt brand saturation. Kim Kardashian has become overly-publicized for the same old, same old. An example of this is what seems to be a world tour of her 30th birthday in every time zone, ultimately damaging her brand. If she wants to raise her profile the right way, she's going to have to differentiate and develop a more sustainable plan than Paris Part Two," says Peter Madden, founder and president of the branding and public relations agency AgileCat.
For 31, can we suggest dinner and a movie -- unless Kim's seriously strapped for cash.
Kim Kardashian's 30th Birthday Celebrations
Kim Kardashian blows out the candles on a cake in celebration of her 30th Birthday at the 10th Anniversary of TAO restaurant in New York, early Sunday Oct. 17, 2010. Her actual birthday is on October 21.
Charles Sykes, AP
Charles Sykes, AP
Kim Kardashians 30th Birthday Celebrations
MORE ABOUT Kim Kardashian
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kim Kardashian Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Whitney Houston's Mom Cissy Houston Speaks Out Against Lifetime Biopic: "Let Her Rest"
- Lupita Nyong'o Looks Gorgeous on ELLE France Cover in Yellow Dress: Photo
- Chrissy Teigen Gets a New Long Bob Haircut: See the Picture
- Remembering Her Dad ? Bindi Irwin Opens Up About Losing Her ?Crocodile Hunter' Dad Steve Irwin, Says It's Like ?Losing A Piece Of Your Heart'
- Feud With The Kardashians Explodes — Kim’s BFF Jonathan Cheban Tells ‘RHONJ’ Star Ashlee Holmes, ‘You Made A Huge Mistake!’
- Chelsea In Control! New Book Claims Bill And Hillary Clinton's Daughter Wears The Pants In The Family ? Author Claims She Is A ?Royal Child'
- Duran Duran files lawsuit accusing fan club of breach of contract
- Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas bond while filming 'And So It Goes'
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC
- Brie Bella Goes to the Caribbean, Nikki Bella Hits the Beach With John Cena and More—Catch Up With the Total Divas!
- This Beautiful Model Is Considered Plus-Size and the Internet Is Not Happy About That
- Selena Gomez Flashes Major Skin With Cara Delevingne at Leonardo DiCaprio's Foundation Gala