Mel Gibson Gearing Up to Say 'I'm Sorry'
By Rob Shuter Posted Oct 26th 2010 08:35AM
After the shocking news that the cast and crew of 'The Hangover 2' wanted nothing to do with Mel Gibson, the actor himself is starting to realize that remaining silent is doing him no favors in the eyes of the public and, of course, the Hollywood producers that hold his career in their hands. That's why the fallen star is getting ready to tell his side of the story, sources tell me.
"Since the second the tapes were released, every media outlet [including this site] has been contacting Mel's people asking for an interview," an insider tells me. "Now, after months of silence, Mel has finally realized if he doesn't say something really soon it might be too late. The days of burying his head in the sand hoping this whole ugly mess goes away are over."
Mel has his pick of any outlet, and everyone from Oprah to Letterman and the 'Today' show to 'The View' (oh, the tears that Babs would conjure!) have all made it clear that they would love to give him a venue to spill it. However, sources close to the actor tell me Mel would rather sit down with a man this time around.
"Mel did an interview with Diane Sawyer after his anti-Semitic remarks several years ago, and that didn't go so well for him," a friend of the actor says. "Now, with the stakes even higher, everyone thinks it would be better for a man to sit opposite another man to discuss everything that has been going on lately. I suppose the first choice would be Matt Lauer. It's certainly not going to be Oprah after she almost got Oksana to tell all."
Matt's skill and integrity cannot be denied, but unless Mel is willing to accept responsibility this isn't going to end well for him. One public relations expert tells me, "Mel must be aware of what he needs to do. And that is to say, 'I'm sorry.'"
See RadarOnline.com creator and executive vice president David Perel talk Mel Gibson's potential apology -- and Charlie Sheen's big meltdown -- with PopEater:
MORE ABOUT Mel Gibson
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Mel Gibson Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian criticized for donating just 10 percent of ?charity auction' to typhoon victims
- Gym, Tan, Pokey? ?Jersey Shore' star's grand jury ?Situation'
- ?Out of the Furnace' review: Bale, Affleck and Harrelson shine but flick falls short
- Does The New 'Spider-Man' Trailer Tease A 'Sinister' Third Movie?
- 'Thor: The Dark World' Villain to Plague Iron Man in 2014
- Christina Applegate Ribs Her 'Anchorman 2' Co-Stars in New E! Special (Exclusive Video)
- Joe Manganiello talks new book ?Evolution,' makes a plea for his male stripper doc, and passes our Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Entertainment Geekly: Now let's cast the rest of the Justice League
- Amy Robach returns to ?Good Morning America' to share details of her breast cancer fight ? VIDEO
- Benedict Cumberbatch Proves That R. Kelly Lyrics Sound Better in a British Accent
- 'Warcraft' Casting: Ben Foster Among Four Actors to Join Video Game Adaptation
- Weekend Movies: 'Inside Llewyn Davis,' 'Out of the Furnace,' & More