Rachael Leigh Cook: 'Nothing You See Is Real'
By Sarah Crow Posted Oct 26th 2010 01:45PM
The actress directed her argument to the audience at the Healthy Media for Youth Summit in Washington, D.C., claiming that doctored images of celebrities had a potentially negative effect on young people's self-esteem.
"Nothing that you see is real, even if you look at what looks like a candid photo of someone, anything can be done. It is false advertising," she told the crowd.
Despite her healthy attitude toward media pressure, CBS News reports that the actress admitted to struggling with her own body-image issues following weight gain as a teen. "You're looking for a sense of control, and when you're in a really transitional phase in your teenage years, I think it's a pretty normal reaction to develop food issues," she explained.
Cook expressed her disappointment in her own industry. "It breaks my heart to be part of an industry and part of a machine that really pushes out these images and propagates these really terrible standards that are false," she said. "It's all just a complete illusion."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Taylor Swift performs a surprise free concert for her fans in Central Park in New York City to promote her latest album 'Speak Now.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chris Hemsworth only ate 500-calories-a-day for 'In the Heart of the Sea'
- Alec and Ireland Baldwin make joke about infamous voicemail
- Zachary Levi is a 'Geek Who Drinks,' says being a 'spazzy kid' has worked out for him
- San Sebastian Festival Unveils New Directors Section Lineup
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Coming to France on CanalPlus
- South Korea Box Office: 'Inside Out' Sets Pixar Record, Local Action Film on Top
- 'The Bachelorette' Couple's Plans
- 'The Bachelorette': Kaitlyn's Choice
- Ashley On Miranda & Blake Support
- Best of Late Night TV: Tom Cruise's Amazing Lip Sync Battle, 'The Bachelorette' Snapchat Explained
- The 25 Best 'SNL' Impressions Ever
- Top 10 Worst Casting Choices Ever