Who Will Play Princess Diana on Film?
By Moviefone Editors Posted Oct 30th 2010 01:15PM
Years ago, Lindsay Lohan told In Touch Weekly she'd like to play the royal icon. That's unlikely to happen now. But according to the U.K.'s Daily Mail, Scarlett Johansson is a "possibility," along with "top" contender Keira Knightley, for an upcoming film that would take us through Diana's entire life from her childhood to her 1997 death.
The French producer of Knightley's 2008 film 'The Duchess' (which was marketed as having parallels to Diana's life) also made 2006's 'The Queen.' That film's star, Helen Mirren, is reportedly being sought to join the still-evolving cast as Diana's mother, Frances Shand Kydd.
Meanwhile, the paper reports another, bigger Diana biopic in the works. This one will zero in on the stylish Brit's relationship with bodyguard Ken Wharfe, and would be based on his 2002 tell-all, 'Diana: Closely Guarded Secret.' Charlize Theron has reportedly been cast as Diana opposite Ewan McGregor as Wharfe. Unlike the rumored Knightley project, which is in "early stages," the Theron-and-McGregor movie already has a script, and a nearly-$50-million budget.
The Theron version will very likely hit theaters first, sources say. "Dueling biopic" latecomers in past situations have fared poorly (such as 'Infamous' opening shortly after 'Capote'), but that doesn't guarantee that two films devoted to Princess Di and opening months apart will be overkill for moviegoers, especially women. Most Diana fans, who have embraced multiple TV productions about the beloved princess, rarely tire of seeing her dramatic life story told from a fresh angle. As long as the royal role is well-cast, that is!
Read more from Moviefone >>>
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lovelorn fan proposes to Keira Knightely during Broadway debut
- Geena Davis, 59, to play 44-year-old Jon Hamm's daughter
- Jim Carrey's ex reportedly committed suicide using pills prescribed to the comedian
- ‘Castle' Bosses Explain Season 8 Split: "Nobody's Getting Divorced"
- NYFF: 'Steve Jobs' Star Michael Fassbender, Director Danny Boyle Weren't Bothered by Pre-Production Drama
- MIPCOM: 'Hitler' Series Greenlit With TF1, RTL
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Martian' Lands At Number One
- 8 Reasons 'Titanic' Is Still the Best Love Story of the '90s
- 12 Life Lessons From Cher Horowitz