Who Will Play Princess Diana on Film?
By Moviefone Editors Posted Oct 30th 2010 01:15PM
Years ago, Lindsay Lohan told In Touch Weekly she'd like to play the royal icon. That's unlikely to happen now. But according to the U.K.'s Daily Mail, Scarlett Johansson is a "possibility," along with "top" contender Keira Knightley, for an upcoming film that would take us through Diana's entire life from her childhood to her 1997 death.
The French producer of Knightley's 2008 film 'The Duchess' (which was marketed as having parallels to Diana's life) also made 2006's 'The Queen.' That film's star, Helen Mirren, is reportedly being sought to join the still-evolving cast as Diana's mother, Frances Shand Kydd.
Meanwhile, the paper reports another, bigger Diana biopic in the works. This one will zero in on the stylish Brit's relationship with bodyguard Ken Wharfe, and would be based on his 2002 tell-all, 'Diana: Closely Guarded Secret.' Charlize Theron has reportedly been cast as Diana opposite Ewan McGregor as Wharfe. Unlike the rumored Knightley project, which is in "early stages," the Theron-and-McGregor movie already has a script, and a nearly-$50-million budget.
The Theron version will very likely hit theaters first, sources say. "Dueling biopic" latecomers in past situations have fared poorly (such as 'Infamous' opening shortly after 'Capote'), but that doesn't guarantee that two films devoted to Princess Di and opening months apart will be overkill for moviegoers, especially women. Most Diana fans, who have embraced multiple TV productions about the beloved princess, rarely tire of seeing her dramatic life story told from a fresh angle. As long as the royal role is well-cast, that is!
Read more from Moviefone >>>
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Brooke Burke admits being shocked by way she was fired
- Musical mocking Mormons coming to Utah
- Politician calling for ban of orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Lena Dunham Hosting 'SNL': What to Watch For
- Lesli Klainberg Named Executive Director of Film Society of Lincoln Center
- Amy Sedaris to Co-Star in Fox's Jane Krakowski Comedy
- This Week on Stage: Bryan Cranston goes ?All the Way'
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Watching This Four-Minute 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Clip Is a Very Good Idea (VIDEO)
- Renee Zellweger's Next Movie, 'The Whole Truth,' Is Her First in Four Years
- Jennifer Lawrence's Boyfriend, Nicholas Hoult, Is Very Aware of His 'Bystander' Status