Ricky Martin Felt 'Numb' and Cried 'Like a Baby' After Coming Out
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 1st 2010 09:50PM
"When I realized, okay, I just pressed send, whoo... I was alone," the international singer said to the talk show host (via PEOPLE.) "I was in my studio alone for a minute. My assistant walked in and I just started crying like a little baby. I started crying." Martin admits he felt "numb" but then relieved after sharing the news with the world.
Martin credits his 2-year-old twins born via surrogate with helping him realize he needed to be totally open about his sexuality.
"I couldn't take it anymore. It was too painful. But I guess the most important thing is my children... When I was holding them in my arms I was like, 'What, am I gonna teach them how to lie?' Whoa, that is my blessing right there. Then, when I was holding my children I said, 'Okay, it's time to tell the world.'"
The 'Livin' La Vida Loca' singer is releasing his memoir 'Me' on November 2. In it, Martin opens up about everything from his experiences in Menudo to his sexuality and fatherhood.
"From the moment I wrote the first phrase, I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And this is something worth celebrating," he said (via CNN.)
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bollywood actress sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in Pakistan
- FOX411's pic of the day
- '19 Kids & Counting's' cousin Amy Duggar reaches for Nashville dreams
- ?Star Wars' trailer wishlist: VII things we hope to see
- PopWatch Confessional: What are you thankful for this year?
- 'Extra' Trend Spotter: Great Boots by Born!
- Jennifer Lopez, Rosie O'Donnell and Others Share Their Slim-Down Secrets!
- Uh Oh! Dean Invited Another Woman Over While Tori Was Out of Town?!
- Celebrities' Thanksgiving Messages: See Photos From Taylor Swift, Beyonce
- Melissa Rivers Celebrates First Thanksgiving Without Joan Rivers, Remembers Mother in Sweet Photo
- Black Friday 2014: The Best Sweatpants to Wear While Doing Your Online Shopping (And to Spend Your Whole Weekend In)