Cher on Chaz: 'She's a Very Smart Girl -- Boy!'
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 2nd 2010 07:06AM
It's taking Cher some time to get used to having a son named Chaz Bono, rather than a daughter named Chastity. In the new Vanity Fair, the singing icon talks candidly about her first born child's gender-reassignment surgery last year, and why it's been hard wrapping her head around it.
"If I woke up tomorrow in a guy's body, I would just kick and scream and cry and f****ing rob a bank, because I cannot see myself as anything but who I am -- a girl. I would not take it as well as Chaz has. I couldn't imagine it," she says.
Cher, who has aired her confusion about Chaz's choice before, even mixes up his gender in casual conversations. "Well, she's a very smart girl -- boy! This is where I get into trouble. My pronouns are f***ed. I still don't remember to call her 'him,'" she admits.
When asked whether her children are still angry with her, Cher told VF, "I think Chaz is pretty much finished with it, and I think Elijah [her son with Gregg Allman] has a little longer to go, but they both really love me a lot. But it's hard."
Chaz's transformation became official, in a legal sense, back in May when a judge granted the 41-year-old activist's request to change his name from Chastity to Chaz and to switch his gender identification to male.
In June 2009, Cher offered her support for Chaz, saying that she respects "the courage it takes to go through this transition in the glare of public scrutiny, and although I may not understand, I will strive to be understanding."
► Read more from Cher in the new Vanity Fair.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- NYPD investigating Amanda Bynes' allegations of sexual assault
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
Huffington Post - EntertainmentFEED
- WATCH: Oprah On Americans Who 'Take Pills Like Candy'
- Roman Polanski's Shocking Words On Women
- Snooki Flaunts Tiny Waist In Sports Bra
- Sorry, folks, Jimmy Kimmel didn't really buy that $1.9 million nude Bea Arthur painting
- PopWatch Confessional TV Jukebox edition: What songs do you wish you'd heard on TV this year?
- Selena Gomez and Jaden Smith Dine in London
- Amanda Bynes Tweets Post-Arrest: 'I Don't Drink or Do Drugs'