Stewart Rally's First Casualty: Keith Olbermann's 'Worst Persons in the World'
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 2nd 2010 07:48AM
"There is an institutionalization of it that may no longer be valid," Olbermann said on 'Countdown.' "That is the 'Worst Persons in the World' segment, which started as a way, of all things, of defending Tucker Carlson. Its satire and whimsy have gradually gotten lost in some anger, so in the spirit of the thing, as of right now, I am unilaterally suspending that segment with an eye towards discontinuing it."
Olbermann left the door open to let "Worst" back in, but at this point he's effectively done with his nightly excuse to tease "Bill-O," "El Rushbo" and the like.
"We don't know how that works long-term. We might bring it back. We might bring back something similar to it. We might kill it outright."
The move comes as a bit of a surprise, seeing that during Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" event on Saturday, Olbermann slammed the 'Daily Show' host for saying that voices on the left and the right on cable news were equally guilty of spreading a negative and toxic tone in political discourse.
"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing," Stewart said. "The press is our immune system. If it overreacts to everything, we eventually get sicker."
After Stewart's cable-slamming, Olbermann told his Twitter followers, "It wasn't a big shark but Jon Stewart jumped one just now with the 'everybody on [the] cable is the same' naivete."
► RELATED: Keith Olbermann Scrubs Bush From Nightly Sign-Off
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Burt Jenner Calls Out Hypocritical Supporters of Dad Bruce Jenner After Diane Sawyer Interview
- Mama June Announces Daughter Anna Cardwell's Second Pregnancy: "They Are Too Young to Have Another One"
- Tea Leoni Brings Costar Boyfriend Tim Daly as Her White House Correspondents' Dinner Date: Pic
- 'Furious 7' box office champ for fourth straight weekend
- 'Good Fellas' actors spill secrets at 25th anniversary screening
- Kim's ex, Kris Humphries says sorry for Bruce Jenner tweet
- Colin Farrell Reveals the "Honest Truth" About His Relationships: "I Have Not Dated for Four Years Now"
- Brad Pitt Explains the Story Behind His Bruised Face: Don't Run Up Steps Wearing Flip Flops!
- Téa Leoni & Tim Daly Make Red Carpet Debut as a Couple, at White House Correspondents' Dinner—See Pic!