Stewart Rally's First Casualty: Keith Olbermann's 'Worst Persons in the World'
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 2nd 2010 07:48AM
"There is an institutionalization of it that may no longer be valid," Olbermann said on 'Countdown.' "That is the 'Worst Persons in the World' segment, which started as a way, of all things, of defending Tucker Carlson. Its satire and whimsy have gradually gotten lost in some anger, so in the spirit of the thing, as of right now, I am unilaterally suspending that segment with an eye towards discontinuing it."
Olbermann left the door open to let "Worst" back in, but at this point he's effectively done with his nightly excuse to tease "Bill-O," "El Rushbo" and the like.
"We don't know how that works long-term. We might bring it back. We might bring back something similar to it. We might kill it outright."
The move comes as a bit of a surprise, seeing that during Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" event on Saturday, Olbermann slammed the 'Daily Show' host for saying that voices on the left and the right on cable news were equally guilty of spreading a negative and toxic tone in political discourse.
"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing," Stewart said. "The press is our immune system. If it overreacts to everything, we eventually get sicker."
After Stewart's cable-slamming, Olbermann told his Twitter followers, "It wasn't a big shark but Jon Stewart jumped one just now with the 'everybody on [the] cable is the same' naivete."
► RELATED: Keith Olbermann Scrubs Bush From Nightly Sign-Off
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Blue Ivy Smiles in Beyonce's Latest Cute Photo
- Anna Wintour's Style in the 1990s Will Change How You Look at the Vogue Editor Forever
- Prince William Throws Shade at Kate Middleton's "Nightmare" Hair -- Oh No, He Didn't!
- Theaters drop 'The Interview' despite government-approved ending
- 'Millionaire Hot Seat' contestant fails on first question
- Mark Wahlberg's former bodyguard said actor should not be pardoned for assault
- 24 Holiday Gift Ideas for the Kardashian Super Fan in Your Life
- Jennifer Aniston Returns to One of Her First Jobs for Dinner, Still Remembers Her Super Supportive Boss
- Miley Cyrus's Purple Tinsel, James Franco's Superhero Style and More Celebs Wearing Crazy Wigs—See the Wild Pics!