George Bush Reflects on Kanye West's 'Racist' Remark
George W. Bush sat down with Matt Lauer for an interview surrounding the release of his presidential memoir 'Decision Points,' and yes, Kanye West's "George Bush doesn't care about black people" remark came up.
"It was one of the most disgusting moments in my presidency," Bush tells Lauer. Read on.
"That [means] 'he's a racist,'" Bush says of West's comment. "And I didn't appreciate it then. I don't appreciate it now. It's one thing to say, 'I don't appreciate the way he's handled his business.' It's another thing to say, 'This man's a racist.' I resent it, it's not true."
In the book, W. writes that Kanye's televised remark "represented an all-time low."
Lauer then read the Kanye passage from Bush's memoir in the interview, and the former president commented: "Yeah. I still feel that way as you read those words. I felt 'em when I heard 'em, felt 'em when I wrote 'em and I felt 'em when I'm listening to 'em."
At the time, in 2005, Bush was hard-pressed to think of a worse moment of his time in office, and told his wife Laura the same. "My record was strong, I felt, when it came to race relations and giving people a chance. And it was a disgusting moment."
Lauer went on to assert -- leading the way for media headlines proliferating as this is written -- that Bush definitively considers West's diss as the toughest moment in his eight-year presidency. "You're not saying that the worst moment in your presidency was watching the misery in Louisiana. You're saying it was when someone insulted you because of that," Lauer grills.
Bush's response? "No, and I also make it clear that the misery in Louisiana affected me deeply as well. There's a lot of tough moments in the book. And it was a disgusting moment, pure and simple."
UPDATE: 3:45 P.M. 11/03/10
Kanye commented on Bush's interview with Houston DJ Devi Dev of Hot 97.9 The Boxx, saying he sympathized for the former President, according to All Hip Hop News.
"I can understand the way he feels to be accused of being a racist in a way, because the same thing happened to me where I got accused of being a racist," said on Nov. 3 in an interview.
The full interview will air on NBC on Nov. 8 at 8PM.
MORE ABOUT Kanye West
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kanye West Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Robin Thicke reportedly dating 19-year-old model
- Model turned MMA fighter Paige VanZant never saw career coming
- 'Star Wars' trailer in nine theaters this weekend
- Bono, Shia laBeouf lead GQ's ?Least Influential' 2014 list
- ?Assassin's Creed: Unity' is far from revolutionary
- Watch Batman take down an army in ?Arkham Knight' trailer
- 'The Originals': New Details About Rebekah and Hope's Return
- Jennifer Lawrence Has a ?Real Housewives' Dining Experience!
- AMAs 2014: One Direction, Jenny McCarthy and Others Have Booty on the Brain and More!
- Jennifer Lopez's Age Trending on Twitter -- Read the Funny Tweets Reacting to Her Insane Looks and Body at Age 45
- Eminem's New "Guts Over Fear" Music Video Is a Modern Day Cinderella Story: Watch Here
- Candace Cameron Bure: Dave Coulier, AKA Full House's Uncle Joey Introduced Me To My Husband