Portia de Rossi Says Eating 300 Calories a Day 'Made Perfect Sense'
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 3rd 2010 11:19AM
The 'Arrested Development' star, who is now happily married to Ellen DeGeneres, spent much of her career struggling with her sexuality and eating disorders. The actress details her journey to self-acceptance in her new book, 'Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain.'
In the late 1990s, after landing a plum role as buttoned-up lawyer Nelle Porter on 'Ally McBeal,' de Rossi found herself in the midst of a self-esteem crisis, eventually leading to a battle with anorexia and bulimia. The actress, who whittled her figure down to a shocking 82 pounds, tells PEOPLE, "I didn't think I was crazy to only eat 300 calories a day. That made perfect sense to me."
De Rossi has since overcome her struggles with food, forgoing weigh-ins and sticking to healthy eating, but despite her impressive recovery, the actress is still the first to point out her flaws. "Look, I don't think I'm perfect. I still don't like my thighs, but I'm not going to do anything to compromise my health or my sanity to change them."
Admitting her sexuality to herself and the public proved to be yet another challenge for the star, but one that allowed her to find happiness. "My struggle with anorexia, coming to terms with my sexuality, I realized I had struggled with self-acceptance my whole life," she says. "To be able to get to a point where you're just happy with who you are, I think that's when you know what real peace feels like."
The actress also recently sat down with both Oprah Winfrey and her wife Ellen to discuss her struggles.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kristen Bell Gets Interviewed By Child Prodigies Elias and Zion Phoenix, Reveals Her Favorite Part About Frozen's Princess Anna -- Watch!
- Lindsay Lohan Takes Topless Selfie, Covers Breasts With Long Hair
- Taylor Swift Stops Traffic on Hollywood Boulevard, Performs Late-Night Gig
- Kim Kardashian Promises Us That North Will Have to Work
- Dina Lohan to Appear on ‘Millionaire Matchmaker’
- ‘Honey Boo Boo’ Mom Dating Man Who Molested Her 8-Year-Old Relative
- 'Honey Boo Boo's' Mama June: I'm not dating child sex offender
- CBS cuts 'CSI' season short
- Pretty stars who go gritty on film
- Dean McDermott Hates "Monster" Label, Argues He's "Not the First Person to Ever Cheat on His Wife"
- Taylor Swift Shuts Down Hollywood Boulevard for Jimmy Kimmel Live! Concert, Explains 1989 Album Lyrics
- ABC Just Ordered More Episodes for 7 Shows—Which Dramas and Comedies Scored Longer Seasons?