Portia de Rossi Says Eating 300 Calories a Day 'Made Perfect Sense'
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 3rd 2010 11:19AM
The 'Arrested Development' star, who is now happily married to Ellen DeGeneres, spent much of her career struggling with her sexuality and eating disorders. The actress details her journey to self-acceptance in her new book, 'Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain.'
In the late 1990s, after landing a plum role as buttoned-up lawyer Nelle Porter on 'Ally McBeal,' de Rossi found herself in the midst of a self-esteem crisis, eventually leading to a battle with anorexia and bulimia. The actress, who whittled her figure down to a shocking 82 pounds, tells PEOPLE, "I didn't think I was crazy to only eat 300 calories a day. That made perfect sense to me."
De Rossi has since overcome her struggles with food, forgoing weigh-ins and sticking to healthy eating, but despite her impressive recovery, the actress is still the first to point out her flaws. "Look, I don't think I'm perfect. I still don't like my thighs, but I'm not going to do anything to compromise my health or my sanity to change them."
Admitting her sexuality to herself and the public proved to be yet another challenge for the star, but one that allowed her to find happiness. "My struggle with anorexia, coming to terms with my sexuality, I realized I had struggled with self-acceptance my whole life," she says. "To be able to get to a point where you're just happy with who you are, I think that's when you know what real peace feels like."
The actress also recently sat down with both Oprah Winfrey and her wife Ellen to discuss her struggles.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Caitlyn Jenner Has Finally Found Her Style Inspiration, and It Involves Three Fabulous Women
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner Split After 10 Years of Marriage
- Misty Copeland Makes History as First Black Principal Dancer at American Ballet Theatre
- Miss USA loses Cheryl Burke as a co-host
- Miss Universe pageant declares the show must go on, but will anyone see it?
- James Patterson's 'Zoo': Humans in big trouble when animals take back planet on new series
- Adorable Dad Shows Off All the Ways You Can Hold a Baby, Including the "Rugby Ball Hold" and the "Baby Jesus"
- Cheryl Burke Steps Down as Miss USA Judge, Mexico Won't Send a Contestant to Miss Universe Pageant Because of Donald Trump's Comments
- Vanessa Lachey Gushes Over ''Amazing'' Husband Nick, Talks Baby No. 3: ''If It Happens, It Happens!''