Portia de Rossi Says Eating 300 Calories a Day 'Made Perfect Sense'
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 3rd 2010 11:19AM
The 'Arrested Development' star, who is now happily married to Ellen DeGeneres, spent much of her career struggling with her sexuality and eating disorders. The actress details her journey to self-acceptance in her new book, 'Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain.'
In the late 1990s, after landing a plum role as buttoned-up lawyer Nelle Porter on 'Ally McBeal,' de Rossi found herself in the midst of a self-esteem crisis, eventually leading to a battle with anorexia and bulimia. The actress, who whittled her figure down to a shocking 82 pounds, tells PEOPLE, "I didn't think I was crazy to only eat 300 calories a day. That made perfect sense to me."
De Rossi has since overcome her struggles with food, forgoing weigh-ins and sticking to healthy eating, but despite her impressive recovery, the actress is still the first to point out her flaws. "Look, I don't think I'm perfect. I still don't like my thighs, but I'm not going to do anything to compromise my health or my sanity to change them."
Admitting her sexuality to herself and the public proved to be yet another challenge for the star, but one that allowed her to find happiness. "My struggle with anorexia, coming to terms with my sexuality, I realized I had struggled with self-acceptance my whole life," she says. "To be able to get to a point where you're just happy with who you are, I think that's when you know what real peace feels like."
The actress also recently sat down with both Oprah Winfrey and her wife Ellen to discuss her struggles.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Hudson Leads Sexy Biker Gang as Mother of Anarchy for Halloween: See Her Ab-Baring Leather Costume
- Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan's 2014 Halloween Costumes: Kimye, Peter Pan, Zombies, and More!
- Honey Boo Boo's Anna Cardwell on What She Would Say to Alleged Child Molester: "Leave or I'm Gonna Call the Cops"
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Kim Kardashian's corset selfie raises questions: How dangerous is the practice of corseting?
- Sheri Moon Zombie impressed by horror fans who dress up as her
- Best and worst celebrity Halloween costumes