True Story: 'Real World' Star Sean Duffy Wins House Seat in Wisconsin
By Marc Schneider Posted Nov 3rd 2010 08:38AM
Duffy, who spent 1997 finding out "what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real," easily defeated state Sen. Julie Lassa for the job in a contest to replace retiring Rep. David Obey, a Democrat who held the seat for 41 years.
The Associated Press declared Duffy the winner, and he thanked supporters at his victory party shortly before midnight. "What a great night in Wisconsin," Duffy belted.
Duffy filled the "conservative Midwesterner" spot on season 6 of the show and later participated in 'Road Rules.' During his stint as a reality TV star, he met and married 'Real World: San Francisco' beauty Rachel Campos. The couple have six children.
Syrus Yarbrough, one of Duffy's housemates on the show, has already weighed in on the victory. "Sean from my season of The Real World Boston is now a US Congressman!" he wrote on Twitter. "Congrats my brotha!"
While at the Boston firehouse, Duffy would often clash with the liberal-leaning Kameelah Phillips, and later credited the two black cast members (Phillips and Yarbrough) with helping to teach him about race issues. There was no hot tub in the house (these were more innocent times, folks), so the most scandalous thing he ever did was call Phillips a "bitch."
That said, he doesn't think his time on television should play any part in his political ambitions. "People aren't concerned about a reality show from 15 years ago," he said in a Daily Caller interview back in May.
Since leaving Boston,' Duffy appeared on 2002's version of 'Real World/Road Rules Challenge' and has made occasional appearances as an ESPN color commentator. Until recently he was the district attorney for Ashland County.
The 7th District includes all or part of 20 central and northwestern Wisconsin counties.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Anna Wintour Remembers "Extraordinary" Friend, Designer Oscar de la Renta
- Hannibal Buress Calls Bill Cosby a Rapist During Stand-Up, Rehashes Comic's Sexual Assault History
- Alan Cumming: Drunk Shia LaBeouf Slapped My Ass During Cabaret Shenanigans
- Ho, Ho, No! Teresa & Joe Giudice Feuding Over Plans For Final Christmas Together ? She Wants Couture, He Says Thrift Store!
- 'Duck Dynasty's' Robertsons travel to Scotland in season 7 premiere
- Teresa Giudice's crisis manager quits; Star asks to do time in 'Orange is the New Black' prison
- Celebrity face change mysteries...
- Boy Meets World's Maitland Ward Exposes Boobs and Butt—Then Has a Wardrobe Malfunction
- Kim Kardashian Picks and Captions Her Favorite Memories on Her 34th Birthday—See the Instagram Pics!
- Who's in "a Lot of Pain" After Suffering a Serious Injury on Dancing With the Stars?