True Story: 'Real World' Star Sean Duffy Wins House Seat in Wisconsin
By Marc Schneider Posted Nov 3rd 2010 08:38AM
Duffy, who spent 1997 finding out "what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real," easily defeated state Sen. Julie Lassa for the job in a contest to replace retiring Rep. David Obey, a Democrat who held the seat for 41 years.
The Associated Press declared Duffy the winner, and he thanked supporters at his victory party shortly before midnight. "What a great night in Wisconsin," Duffy belted.
Duffy filled the "conservative Midwesterner" spot on season 6 of the show and later participated in 'Road Rules.' During his stint as a reality TV star, he met and married 'Real World: San Francisco' beauty Rachel Campos. The couple have six children.
Syrus Yarbrough, one of Duffy's housemates on the show, has already weighed in on the victory. "Sean from my season of The Real World Boston is now a US Congressman!" he wrote on Twitter. "Congrats my brotha!"
While at the Boston firehouse, Duffy would often clash with the liberal-leaning Kameelah Phillips, and later credited the two black cast members (Phillips and Yarbrough) with helping to teach him about race issues. There was no hot tub in the house (these were more innocent times, folks), so the most scandalous thing he ever did was call Phillips a "bitch."
That said, he doesn't think his time on television should play any part in his political ambitions. "People aren't concerned about a reality show from 15 years ago," he said in a Daily Caller interview back in May.
Since leaving Boston,' Duffy appeared on 2002's version of 'Real World/Road Rules Challenge' and has made occasional appearances as an ESPN color commentator. Until recently he was the district attorney for Ashland County.
The 7th District includes all or part of 20 central and northwestern Wisconsin counties.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Hugh Jackman Is Unrecognizable as Villainous Blackbeard in New Pan Trailer: Watch the Preview
- Joy Behar: Nicolle Wallace Is "a Day at the Beach" Compared to Elisabeth Hasselbeck
- Bethany Mota Reflects on Dancing With the Stars After Tough Elimination: "I've Learned to Take More Risks"
- Blessed Union? Duggars Lobbying Tim Tebow's Mom To Set Him Up With Jana! Their Secret Meetings Revealed
- The Show Must Go On! Tori Spelling Says She Plans To Continue ‘True Tori’ Without Husband Dean McDermott
- 'Penguins of Madagascar' hatches light family fun
- 'Jurassic World' trailer debuts: Chris Pratt vs. hybrid dinos!
- Garth Brooks cancels talk show appearances after Ferguson 'unrest'
- Kate Mara Takes a Shower With James Marsden for Steamy Photoshoot, Says She's Never Been Jealous of Sister Rooney
- Remember When Lenny Kravitz Wore a Scarf That Was Practically a Huge Blanket Around His Neck?
- Lady Gaga Wears Inflatable, Spiky Star Dress, Brings H&M Holiday Magic With Tony Bennett—Watch Now!