'Big Love' Star Bruce Dern: 'Sister Wives' May Have 'Cut Into Our Space a Little Bit'
By Stacy Jenel Smith Posted Nov 4th 2010 07:00PM
Possible awkwardness aside, Dern has a couple theories as to why HBO is sun-setting the drama, telling PopEater he guesses that 'Sister Wives' -- TLC's show about real polygamists, as opposed to 'Big Love's' fictional polygamist clan, "might have cut into our space a little bit." He also feels that "last season got a little twitchy and rough with the Third Reich Movement [storyline] ... People lost interest in that."
Still, five years constitutes a good run – and the show is certainly getting a respectful season 5 sendoff. "I thought they did about the best they could do," says Bruce. He adds that since the 'Big Love' team knows the show is in its final term, "This year could be the best of the years -- the most enlightening, the most funny, not necessarily real sad or tragic."
One thing's for certain: Come Jan. 16, HBO devotees will have no shortage of Derns to watch on the small screen.
"Laura has own series coming on," he adds, referring to 'Enlightened,' in which Laura will play a self-destructive woman who becomes determined to live an enlightened life. "And her mother plays her mother on the show."
So starting in mid-January, Sunday nights will be filled with those formidable Dern-Ladd acting chops that have already earned five Oscar nominations -- and now, the honor of being the first family to have stars unveiled on the Walk of Fame all at once. Joe Dante presented Bruce's award, David Lynch and Mark Ruffalo honored Laura, and Della Reese and Barbara Boyle awarded Diane.
"It was terrific. I was astounded and thrilled to be a part of it. This isn't really an award. This is someone standing up and saying, 'You know what? After a whole lot of years, this family has a lot of game. In terms of Mr. Dern, he can play.'"
Speaking of family, will Bruce guest star on his daughter's 'Enlightened'?
"I didn't do the first season because I was doing 'Big Love,' but maybe, looking ahead. We [he, Laura and Ladd] are going to be making a movie together," he reveals. "It's called 'The Heart's Location' and it's a father-daughter story. We're going to do it at the start of the New Year."
But for now, he'll be playing the nasty Frank Harlow on 'Big Love' a bit longer. Dern tells PopEater he still has a month's worth of shooting left to go on 'Love' for its fifth and final season, which launches in January.
Meanwhile, the venerable actor, whose list of 80-plus film credits includes such gems as 'Coming Home' and 'The Great Gatsby,' just flew in from Napa, California, for the day's events. He's in the middle of shooting 'Twixt Now and Sunset' with Val Kilmer for director Francis Ford Coppola.
"We're doing it up in Francis' place in Rutherford. He's making a gothic horror tale that he wrote, and Val Kilmer plays a Stephen King-type writer and I play the sheriff of the town," he reports.
One of Our Favorite Scenes With Dern in 'Big Love' ... The Frank-Lois Showdown:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Angelina Jolie Steps Out After Wedding, Melissa Rivers on Joan Rivers: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Bill Murray Tears Tickets at St. Paul Saints Independent League Baseball Game, Catches First Pitch: Watch!
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jennifer Aniston Wasn't Mad About Friends Reunion, That's Acting
- Rehab Vet Farrah Abraham Says ?I Have Faith In' Amber Portwood's Sobriety: ?Teen Mom' Frenemies No More
- Moving Trucks Spotted Outside Mariah Carey's Apartment Building ? Is This Really The End Of Her Marriage To Nick Cannon?
- Tony Stewart Speaks Out On Killing Fellow NASCAR Driver Kevin Ward Jr. —‘It Will Affect My Life Forever’
- Ferguson shooting: Hip-hop moves as strong force for Michael Brown
- Comedian Tracy Morgan still struggling after crash
- Joan Rivers' condition 'remains serious,' daughter says
- Kate Mara and Max Minghella Split Up After 4 Years of Dating
- OMG! Giuliana & Bill Rancic Share Adorable Exclusive Photos of Son Duke on His 2nd Birthday—He's Gotten So Big!
- See Photos of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt on Their Wedding Day and Looking Gorgeous... in Mr. & Mrs. Smith!