Jessica Alba in Elle: 'Good Actors Never Use the Script'
By Sarah Crow Posted Nov 4th 2010 05:30PM
Jessica Alba has filmed an impressive 25 movies over the course of her two decades in Hollywood, but the actress's most important role these days is playing mother to her daughter, Honor. The 'Machete' star, who appears on the cover of December's Elle Magazine, opens up in the issue about how her lack of confidence used to hold her back and how she views her previous roles. "I know I haven't been swimming in the deep end with some of the movies I've done. I wasn't trying to. I knew what they were," she says.
On acting: "Good actors, never use the script unless it's amazing writing. All the good actors I've worked with, they all say whatever they want to say."
On gaining confidence in her craft: "I'd been so afraid of criticism ever since I was young. Every time I'd get a critique or some redirection, I'd always just take it very personally, but now I have no problem with it. It's just a chance to try things a different way. To play more with a character. It also gives me a chance to have some input, to use my voice."
On taking a break from Hollywood after she unexpectedly got pregnant: "I had been working straight since the age of 12. And it was just so clear that there was something more important out there."
On being selective with her roles: "The time I'm not spending with my kid has to be worth it, so when I sat down with my agents after I was ready to go back to work, I told them: It's all about the directors."
On her feelings towards being a leading lady: "Now I prefer I'm not the lead. It's a totally different approach-way better."
Jessica Alba Snapshots
Jessica Alba has a great time with her assistant and little Honor where they pick up some CDs from Best Buy and get a coffee. They swing Honor around and she is laughing hysterically. October 5, 2010. X17online.com exclusive
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sawyer Sweeten, 'Everybody Loves Raymond' child actor, dead at 19
- Comedian Artie Lange: It's not fair when people call me fat
- Mike Tyson doesn't bust a move on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- 'Fifty Shades Darker': Christian Grey Masks Up for First Still (Photo)
- Tribeca: Saban Films to Acquire Adrien Brody's 'Backtrack'
- Mark Ruffalo Answers "Sexist" Questions in 'Avengers' Interview: "Do You Feel Much Pressure to Slim Down?"
- 9 Things We Want to See on 'Fuller House'
- Meet Marvel's Avengers: An 'Age of Ultron' Character Guide
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Is Already a Big Box Office Hit Overseas