Friend: Jessica Simpson Sad, but Not Surprised by Nick's Engagement
By Rob Shuter Posted Nov 5th 2010 07:35AM
Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo's engagement news on Thursday came as a surprise for everyone except ex-wife Jessica Simpson, who knew the day would come when the man she let get away would propose to another woman.
"Even though Jessica wants to be happy for Nick, this is a very difficult time for her," a friend of Simpson's tells me. "Nick was the love of her life then, man, and he was her first, so she will always have a very special place in her heart for him. She's deeply saddened."
The happy couple told Us Weekly that they were excited and incredibly happy about their engagement and look forward to a wonderful future together. Classy Nick got down on one knee and popped the question with an Asscher-cut diamond.
It was merely months after his ugly divorce from Jessica that Nick and Vanessa started dating in 2006, and although they briefly separated last summer, they got back together very quickly.
"Nick knows what it's like to lose someone that you love and wasn't going to let it happen again," a friend of the crooner tells me. "He never thought he would ever get married again after Jessica broke his heart. He never thought he would ever allow himself to be vulnerable again, but after dating for a long time he trusts Vanessa and knows she's the girl he wants to spend the rest of his life with."
A Simpson insider tells me Jessica has yet to contact Nick to say congrats, and that it's possible it may stay that way for a while, for fear she may not come off as sincere.
"If you can't say something nice, it's better to say nothing at all."
Jessica Simpson Snapshots
LONG BEACH, CA - OCTOBER 25: Actress/recording artist Jessica Simpson speaks during the Maria Shriver Women's Conference at the Long Beach Convention Center on October 25, 2010 in Long Beach, California. (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)
Getty Images North America
MORE ABOUT Jessica Simpson
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Jessica Simpson Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'X-Men' director calls sex abuse lawsuit a shakedown
- FOX411's pic of the day
- James Franco on his 'intimate' selfies: 'It's not like I'm exposing myself'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: Lindsay Lohan Dodges Sobriety Questions, Gives Pole Dancing Lesson
- Cute or Ew? 'Orange Is the New Black' Sneak Peek Reveals Piper's New Pastime in Solitary
- Clare Crawley Has a Message for ?Bachelor' Juan Pablo
- Justin Bieber Finally Allowed to Leave LAX After Being Detained
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Takes a Pilates Class, New Mom Olivia Wilde Tweets About Baby Peeing In Face: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Jodie Foster Flashes Wedding Ring After Secretly Tying the Knot With Girlfriend Alexandra Hedison: Picture