Keith Olbermann Suspended Indefinitely by MSNBC
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 5th 2010 02:50PM
NBC News prohibits its employees from working on, or donating to, political campaigns unless a special exception is granted by the news division president - effectively a ban. Olbermann's bosses did not find out about the donations until after they were made. The website Politico first reported the donations.
"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," Phil Griffin, MSNBC's chief executive, said Friday. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."
Olbermann was not immediately available for comment.
His "Countdown" show, which airs at 8 p.m. ET, is MSNBC's most popular program. His on-the-air transformation from the host of a straight news program to a liberal commentator led the network itself to go in the same direction, filling its prime-time lineup with left-leaning hosts and doing better in the ratings than anytime since its 1996 launch.
Olbermann was a co-anchor of MSNBC's election coverage this week. The network's performance drew some criticism, particularly with Chris Matthews' contentious interviews with Republican Reps. Michele Bachmann and Marsha Blackburn.
Chris Hayes will fill in for Olbermann on Friday's program, the network said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Mariah Carey Has Wardrobe Malfunction, Curses on Good Morning America
- Lily Aldridge's Sexy Bikini Body Tip: "A Great Tan Really Helps!"
- Julianne Moore: It's Sexist to Ask About Motherhood, Aging
- Defense: Trayvon Martin Text Messages Show Fistfights, Eerie Warning
- Britney Spears To Roll The Dice With Las Vegas Residency?
- 'Duck Dynasty' inspires greeting cards, cigars and other merchandise
- Amanda Bynes arrested after tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Memorial Day weekend special: Stars on the Beach!
- Jennifer Hudson Signs On as American Idol Judge! (Plus, Find Out Who Else Is Close to Coming Aboard)
- Boy Scouts Lift Ban on Gay Teens: Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jenna Dewan-Tatum and More Stars React
- Olivia Munn Talks "Devastating" Tornado in Native Oklahoma: "It's Not Surprising to See All of the Heroism"