Keith Olbermann Suspended Indefinitely by MSNBC
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 5th 2010 02:50PM
NBC News prohibits its employees from working on, or donating to, political campaigns unless a special exception is granted by the news division president - effectively a ban. Olbermann's bosses did not find out about the donations until after they were made. The website Politico first reported the donations.
"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," Phil Griffin, MSNBC's chief executive, said Friday. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."
Olbermann was not immediately available for comment.
His "Countdown" show, which airs at 8 p.m. ET, is MSNBC's most popular program. His on-the-air transformation from the host of a straight news program to a liberal commentator led the network itself to go in the same direction, filling its prime-time lineup with left-leaning hosts and doing better in the ratings than anytime since its 1996 launch.
Olbermann was a co-anchor of MSNBC's election coverage this week. The network's performance drew some criticism, particularly with Chris Matthews' contentious interviews with Republican Reps. Michele Bachmann and Marsha Blackburn.
Chris Hayes will fill in for Olbermann on Friday's program, the network said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bella Thorne: I'm Bigger Now That I Exercise Everyday
- Rob Kardashian Resurfaces While Mom Kris Jenner Admits She "Cries Herself to Sleep" Over His Issues
- Batkid Begins Documentary Trailer Shares Behind-the-Scenes Look at Miles Scott: Watch Now!
- Foxy Knoxy Doomed? Amanda Knox Prosecutor Confirms Her Alleged Links To Cocaine Dealers, Weeks After Radar's Report
FOX 411FEEDMore From Fox News Li
- Jessie J's New Single "Bang Bang" With Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj Leaks—Listen Now!
- Kiefer Sutherland Responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s "Unprofessional" Diss, Says He ''Enjoyed'' Working Together
- We Had a Dance Party With the Orphan Black Cast at Comic-Con and You Should Totally Be Jealous