Keith Olbermann Suspended Indefinitely by MSNBC
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 5th 2010 02:50PM
NBC News prohibits its employees from working on, or donating to, political campaigns unless a special exception is granted by the news division president - effectively a ban. Olbermann's bosses did not find out about the donations until after they were made. The website Politico first reported the donations.
"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," Phil Griffin, MSNBC's chief executive, said Friday. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."
Olbermann was not immediately available for comment.
His "Countdown" show, which airs at 8 p.m. ET, is MSNBC's most popular program. His on-the-air transformation from the host of a straight news program to a liberal commentator led the network itself to go in the same direction, filling its prime-time lineup with left-leaning hosts and doing better in the ratings than anytime since its 1996 launch.
Olbermann was a co-anchor of MSNBC's election coverage this week. The network's performance drew some criticism, particularly with Chris Matthews' contentious interviews with Republican Reps. Michele Bachmann and Marsha Blackburn.
Chris Hayes will fill in for Olbermann on Friday's program, the network said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Red Nose Day's Best Skits: Julia Roberts' Real Voice, Game of Thrones Musical and More!
- Orange Is the New Black Season 3 Hits Netflix and More June Streaming Releases From Amazon and Hulu
- Dwyane Wade Explains His Groomzilla Behavior: "I Know My Wife" Gabrielle Union
- Pamela Anderson is ready to date lots of guys
- Gwyneth Paltrow reveals how she got her bikini body
- 'Harry Potter' star Matthew Lewis strips down for magazine cover
- Celebs Bring the Funny for Red Nose Day: Gwyneth Paltrow Hangs Out, Robert Pattinson Crashes a Car & More!
- Find Out What Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant, Daniel Craig and More Really Sound Like in This Hilarious Red Nose Day Exposé
- Reese Witherspoon Is Going to Play Tinker Bell in New Live-Action Disney Movie