Suspended Keith Olbermann Demanded MSNBC Apology, Will Return Tuesday
By Rob Shuter Posted Nov 8th 2010 07:15AM
Keith Olbermann might have been suspended from MSNBC after breaking company rules regarding making contributions to political candidates, but now sources tell me it's Keith whose demands have been met, allowing him to return to his perch atop the cable network.
"Keith is furious about the way this has all been handled and insisted that MSNBC bosses apologize to him before he would agree to return," a network insider tells me. "Keith sees himself as the star of MSNBC, the person who put them on the map and discovered fellow network anchors Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell. To be treated like this by the network he helped shape, he considers disgusting."
MSNBC employees follow ethics guidelines barring them from making political contributions. After Olbermann's "indefinite suspension without pay," it appears those rules may see some revision.
"In addition to an apology, Keith is demanding that the rules be changed," an executive tells me. "Keith thinks it's unfair that FOX News anchors can make contributions and support candidates and he can't. It's his money that he has earned, he should be allowed to do whatever he wants with it. What sort of country do we live in where an actor can trash a hotel room with an escort and drugs and Keith can't donate money to people running for office he believes in? It makes no sense. If they think they can slap Keith's wrist and have him to return a few days later like nothing happened, they are wrong. They picked the wrong guy."
In his only statement since his suspension, Keith tweeted:
But expect Keith to have a lot more to say on the matter on Tuesday, when he returns to the air.
"Keith clearly won this battle. Not only has he got the bosses to say sorry, but he's also got the company to review its ethic rules," a friend of Keith's tells me. "You watch -- his rating on Tuesday when he returns will be bigger than ever, giving him even more power at MSNBC."
Love Olbermann or hate him, even Glenn Beck would have to admit the man's got nerve.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kanye West, Taylor Swift Joke About Infamous VMAs Moment as He Accepts Video Vanguard Award
- Kanye West Says He's Running for President in 2020 in Bonkers VMAs 2015 Speech
- Justin Bieber Cries After "What Do You Mean?" Performance at 2015 VMAs — Watch Him Break Down
- Horror master Wes Craven dead at 76
- Kanye West rants at VMAs: I have decided to 'run for president'
- Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus at VMAs
- Justin Bieber Is Shirtless and Looking Mighty Fine in "What Do You Mean?" Music Video—Watch Now!
- Bachelor in Paradise is Exhausting Us: Who's the Worst of the Worst This Week?
- Wes Craven Dead at 76: Director Helped Create Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street and Other Horror Films