Brutal Murder in 'Real Housewives' Kim Richards' Past
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 8th 2010 11:35AM
"She loved him and he loved her and it was like a fairy tale," his sister, Nina Stormo, told PEOPLE exclusively.
But in October 1991, her world shattered -- Collett was gunned down by a hit man outside a San Fernando Valley deli.
Richards had to identify Collett's body. Before his death, Collett had worked for a commodities firm that allegedly defrauded millions from investors, and many suspect his death may have been the result of a business scheme gone horribly wrong.
"It just tore her apart emotionally and she was not in good shape for a long time," Jan Collett, John's mother, told PEOPLE. "She really loved John. They were a good match."
In June 1993, Marva DeCarlo Johnson was found guilty of John Collett's murder and sentenced to 30-years-to-life in prison. Although prosecutors presented evidence that it was a paid hit, there was no evidence of who financed it or why.
Family and friends admit Richards has never recovered.
"Kim was always carrying around a lot of pain, subsequent to my son's death," Jan Collett said. "I really cared for Kim. I thought she was a really good person with a good heart."
Kim Richards Snapshots
Kim Richards arrives at 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' premiere party at Trousdale in Los Angeles on October 11, 2010.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Mark Salling, 31, Is Dating Disney Star Denyse Tontz, 19: Sweet Picture, Details
- Sarah Michelle Gellar Reunites With Buffy Costar Anthony Head: Adorable Picture
- Leonardo DiCaprio Does Karate in Skinny Jeans on a Yacht: Pictures
- Duran Duran files lawsuit accusing fan club of breach of contract
- Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas bond while filming 'And So It Goes'
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC