Brutal Murder in 'Real Housewives' Kim Richards' Past
By PopEater Staff Posted Nov 8th 2010 11:35AM
"She loved him and he loved her and it was like a fairy tale," his sister, Nina Stormo, told PEOPLE exclusively.
But in October 1991, her world shattered -- Collett was gunned down by a hit man outside a San Fernando Valley deli.
Richards had to identify Collett's body. Before his death, Collett had worked for a commodities firm that allegedly defrauded millions from investors, and many suspect his death may have been the result of a business scheme gone horribly wrong.
"It just tore her apart emotionally and she was not in good shape for a long time," Jan Collett, John's mother, told PEOPLE. "She really loved John. They were a good match."
In June 1993, Marva DeCarlo Johnson was found guilty of John Collett's murder and sentenced to 30-years-to-life in prison. Although prosecutors presented evidence that it was a paid hit, there was no evidence of who financed it or why.
Family and friends admit Richards has never recovered.
"Kim was always carrying around a lot of pain, subsequent to my son's death," Jan Collett said. "I really cared for Kim. I thought she was a really good person with a good heart."
Kim Richards Snapshots
Kim Richards arrives at 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' premiere party at Trousdale in Los Angeles on October 11, 2010.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- Ed Sheeran "Feels Bad," Says He'll Apologize to Miley Cyrus After Calling Her a Stripper
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- 'Breaking Bad's' Aaron Paul slams Toys R Us over recall
- Paris Hilton slammed by world famous DJ
- J.K. Rowling writes backstory for Potter character
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!