Will 'Dancing With Stars' Cast a Same-Sex Couple?
By Rob Shuter Posted Nov 9th 2010 11:15AM
When the Israeli edition of 'Dancing With The Stars' confirmed it would feature its first-ever same-sex couple, the outpouring of media attention caught the eye of the producers of the American version. Now, sources tell me the US edition of the worldwide dance phenomenon is actively looking to do the same.
"The show is definitely looking for a trick for its next edition that will go up against 'American Idol,'" a 'Dancing' insider tells me. "What better than to have a same-sex couple dancing together? That would certainly get more press than even Jennifer Lopez could drum up."
It's true the show does know a thing or two about stunt casting. Learning from recent stars Kate Gosselin and Bristol Palin, the producers have seen first hand how a casting controversy can bring in the viewers.
"Nothing would be as sensational as two beautiful women dancing together," a TV expert tells me. "Two men would be less accepted as two gorgeous ladies, that is why the producers' first choice is Portia de Rossi, who is married to Ellen DeGeneres."
Although Portia has not been approached yet with the idea, several sources close with casting tell me it's one name that keeps coming up over and over again.
"Portia is perfect because she is openly gay and happily married to her wife, who happens to be one of America's most loved celebrities," a source tells me. "She is not controversial like Rosie and would be an inspiration to gay teens throughout the country."
I think it's genius!
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Heidi Klum Goes Topless, Zac Posen Covers her Breasts with his Hands
- Julia Roberts, Jimmy Fallon Throw Giant Balls at Each Other's Faces, Get Squashed Noses
- Kim Kardashian Shares Bikini Pictures With North West; Adrienne Bailon Defends Rob Kardashian Comments: Top 5 Thursday Stories
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- WATCH: 'Everybody Loves Raymond' cast reunites
- Celebrities who saved themselves for marriage
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Nick Viall Explains Fantasy Suite Experience With Andi Dorfman: Our Intimacy Level Was Way Beyond the "Act of Sex"
- Jada Pinkett Smith Talks Controversy Surrounding Willow's Photo: "Don't Pollute Something That's Not Dirty"
- Barack Obama "Favorite" Katy Perry Sings at the White House—and Brings Her Republican Mom!