Natasha Bedingfield Explains Tantalizing Title of New Album, 'Strip Me'
By Linda Laban Posted Nov 10th 2010 01:00PM
"It's definitely a catchy title," Bedingfield tells PopEater with a giggle. "For me, it symbolizes a lot of things. It symbolizes the kind of artist that I am. I'm in pop music, but I'm not gimmicky like a lot of pop artists. I strip it back and keep it real, that's the kind of person I am. I don't want to be on a pedestal, I want to connect with people."
The 28-year-old pop star is also all about stripping away the baggage of consumerism. "We've all been in that situation where all the stuff [we have] is so important. Where you've got to have things, else you're not a complete person. The climate that we're in now is one where people want to have meaning that defines who they are and not have it be about things like what you earn. Real things."
Fans shouldn't worry that Bedingfield has gone all serious on them, but she does feel a sense of responsibility. "I appreciate as an artist that you're actually part of contributing to what a society is. I'm not really very political in terms of who should be in charge, like politics, politicians. But I like to get involved in social causes."
That's no empty beauty pageant-style rhetoric, either; Bedingfield has been active in anti-slavery campaigning. "I found out about it when I went to India a few years ago. There's more slavery today than there was in the whole trans-Atlantic slave trade. It's not just sweatshops, it's people that are actually enslaved; sex slaves, too. Human trafficking is the second biggest illegal trafficking. I think it goes guns, human trafficking, and then drugs. I believe there should be no slavery in the world. I believe in social justice and equal rights."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'The Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Break Time: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' inspires racy lingerie line
- Candace Cameron Bure: 'I'm not going to get naked, and I'm not going to have sex scenes'
- ?Time' 2013 Person of the Year finalists: Miley Cyrus, President Obama among top 10
- ?Super Mario 3D World' review: The portly plumber's latest is totally pawesome
- ?Real Housewives of Atlanta': What should Kandi do? POLL
- Extra Scoop: Kendall Jenner and Harry Styles? Is It On?
- Attention Garth Brooks Fans? He's Going on Tour!
- Crushing on Cole Vosbury! 6 New Reasons We Love 'The Voice' Contestant