Natasha Bedingfield Explains Tantalizing Title of New Album, 'Strip Me'
By Linda Laban Posted Nov 10th 2010 01:00PM
"It's definitely a catchy title," Bedingfield tells PopEater with a giggle. "For me, it symbolizes a lot of things. It symbolizes the kind of artist that I am. I'm in pop music, but I'm not gimmicky like a lot of pop artists. I strip it back and keep it real, that's the kind of person I am. I don't want to be on a pedestal, I want to connect with people."
The 28-year-old pop star is also all about stripping away the baggage of consumerism. "We've all been in that situation where all the stuff [we have] is so important. Where you've got to have things, else you're not a complete person. The climate that we're in now is one where people want to have meaning that defines who they are and not have it be about things like what you earn. Real things."
Fans shouldn't worry that Bedingfield has gone all serious on them, but she does feel a sense of responsibility. "I appreciate as an artist that you're actually part of contributing to what a society is. I'm not really very political in terms of who should be in charge, like politics, politicians. But I like to get involved in social causes."
That's no empty beauty pageant-style rhetoric, either; Bedingfield has been active in anti-slavery campaigning. "I found out about it when I went to India a few years ago. There's more slavery today than there was in the whole trans-Atlantic slave trade. It's not just sweatshops, it's people that are actually enslaved; sex slaves, too. Human trafficking is the second biggest illegal trafficking. I think it goes guns, human trafficking, and then drugs. I believe there should be no slavery in the world. I believe in social justice and equal rights."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Totally insane star baby names
- Michael Cera, Kieran Culkin, Tavi Gevinson shine as Broadway's ?Youth'
- Teddy Sears mastered his ?Sex'-ual education early
- Kids, let me tell you about the time Bane was at your parents' wedding
- Pic! Kim Kardashian Reveals Medieval Slim-Down Secret
- Celeb Ice-Bucket Challenges: Kelly Clarkson Makes First Post-Baby Appearance
- 'Bering Sea Gold' Sneak Peek! What Happens When You're Trapped Under Ice
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Girl Ava Grace With Jared Pobre
- Boy George Talks About Culture Club Reunion, Lady Gaga, and Justin Bieber: Watch the Video!
- Mila Kunis Practices Prenatal Yoga in Tight Black Workout Gear: See Pregnant Star's Growing Baby Bump