Next Dilemma for 'The Dilemma'? Loud Protesters
By Rob Shuter Posted Nov 10th 2010 08:35AM
After public outcry and pressure from a prominent gay rights organization, Universal Pictures agreed to remove the word "gay" from the trailer for 'The Dilemma.' However, I'm told that just won't be enough to keep protesters from descending on the premiere in January.
A member of GLAAD (The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) calls it "disgusting" that stars like Vince Vaughn and Queen Latifah will be walking the red carpet for a movie the group believes "promotes hate and homophobia."
"When [Vaughn] shows up he better be prepared to walk through a protest; [we'll be] causing as much disruption as we possibly can," the incensed insider tells me.
CNN host Anderson Cooper was the first to shine a spotlight on the upcoming film (without actually naming it!) when he appeared on 'The Ellen Degeneres Show' to discuss gay bullying. The controversy has not subsided, and even Vince himself felt pressured to issue a statement.
"Comedy and joking about our differences breaks tension and brings us together," he wrote in an earlier statement. "Drawing dividing lines over what we can and cannot joke about does exactly that; it divides us. Most importantly, where does it stop?"
Sources tell me Universal has arranged for more security for the premiere and is even considering doing away with the traditional red carpet all together, fearful protesters might cause a scene in front of the assembled media.
One studio exec laments that the gay-joke controversy has "turned into a nightmare" and wonders, "How are we going to get back on message?"
Easy my friend, cut the gay jokes.
Watch the Updated Trailer:
- Filed under:
- Celebrity Fights -
- Movie News -
- Health Issues -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Bieber addresses his 'arrogant' behavior: 'I'm not who I was'
- Brandy Clark: I'm a real woman
- Bruce Jenner show will focus on his 'life changes,' report says
- Kevin Costner: Stephen Hawking Came Over to Talk About Whitney Houston
- Gene Hackman Mistakenly Mourned by Twitter After Article Proclaims Him "Gone"
- 'Selma' Star Backs Benedict Cumberbatch Following ?Colored' Controversy
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Best of Late Night TV: David Beckham's NFL Career (VIDEO)
- Why the Found Footage Genre Is Broken (and How to Fix It)
- Matthew McConaughey Is 'Born to Run'