Butch Patrick, Onetime Eddie Munster, Enters Rehab
By Zach Dionne Posted Nov 11th 2010 07:51AM
Butch Patrick, who played Eddie on 'The Munsters,' checked into a New Jersey rehab facility looking for help with a 40-year addiction to alcohol, cocaine and marijuana, TMZ reports.
Patrick, 57, has had a long, albeit off-the-radar, career in showbiz since the 1960s creature sitcom. Patrick's rep tells TMZ he hopes to "get a grip on his addiction and educate himself."
Patrick's family has reportedly pushed him to get help for three decades. His rep adds, "We have thought he could possibly be a product of the child star problem ... and are thankful he will take control of his fate."
In 1989, PEOPLE ran a story titled "Once a Little Munster, Butch Patrick Grew Up to Battle Scarier Demons." The profile now reads almost prophetically: "Ever since 'The Munsters,' Patrick -- who later acquired a felony drug conviction -- has felt sure that another monster success was just around the corner."
Patrick, 35 at the time, told PEOPLE: "I've been trying to hit home runs all my life and striking out. Now I'm going to try to hit a few singles and doubles." He recalled buying drugs for the first time at age 16 and battling the problem ever since. "I never did heroin, never put a needle in my arm, but I did a lot of coke and psychedelics. Occasionally I'd be the middleman and get the stuff for free. I'm basically a hustler."
Butch professed to many years with "no ambition," and told PEOPLE he had quit his addictions in 1987. "I straightened my own life out in my own time," he said. "Maybe I should have gone to rehab, but I didn't. A little man inside me said it was time to get my life in order."
News arrived just this summer that Patrick would marry his self-described "biggest fan," retired pharmacist Donna McCall, with whom he corresponded as a child. An AP story on Patrick's rehab notes that he moved to the Philadelphia area earlier this year to be near McCall, and that they split last week.
Patrick spoke fondly of 'The Munsters' in an interview with the LA Times just before Halloween this year: "It's really never gone off the radar. It's just pure, simple fun. It's from an era where people watched talking horses, genies in a bottle and monsters who live next door. It was all about escapism, as opposed to all the reality TV that's on now."
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Adam Brody Strips Out of Wetsuit: See His Hot Shirtless Body!
- Katherine Heigl Snuggles With Daughter Adalaide, Husband Josh Kelley: Pictures
- Prince William Visits Malta in Place of Kate Middleton, Updates Crowd on Her Condition
- The REAL Split Story? Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Dumped French Montana Because He Was Secretly Texting Her BFF Malika Haqq!
- 'Maze Runner' tops the box office this weekend
- Gabrielle Union confirms topless pic is her and will be contacting the FBI
- 'Fashion Police' remembers Joan and reveal what she drank on set
- 6 Things We Were Obsessed With While Watching Beyoncé and Jay Z's On the Run HBO Special
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana Pole Dances at the Airport With Husband Marco Perego—See the Hilarious Video!
- Little People, Big World Star Jeremy Roloff Marries Audrey Botti—Get the Details on Their Farm Wedding!