Heidi Klum Wears Mondo's 'Project Runway' Dress
By Christine Fenno Posted Nov 13th 2010 01:28PM
Heidi Klum, 37, slithered into Guerra's black and white design for the event at Grauman's Chinese Theater, and she was all smiles while flaunting the sexy open back and revised (now sleeveless) silhouette.
In the October season finale episode of 'Runway,' Klum was adamant about loving the flamboyant design and wanting to wear it. Her opinion was shared by Jessica Simpson, guest judge for the Fashion Week episode, who said she was "obsessed" with Mondo's dots.
Eventually, the panel came to a consensus as the two other judges, fashion insiders Michael Kors and Nina Garcia (who called Guerra's line "overwhelming") leaned toward championing the subtler collection of Gretchen Jones, a Portland designer with a much earthier style.
Mondo may be having the last laugh now. "As I was packing to come back to Denver my cell phone rang and a bright, cheery, 'Hello' greeted me, with a German accent," he tells People.com. "I wasn't sure who it was, but the next thing I knew, the voice on the other end was asking me, 'Do you have my dress?'"
Next, Guerra scheduled an immediate fitting, then flew to his home in Denver and dashed to a fabric store. "The next morning, I came back to my studio and made the dress, shipped it overnight for early morning delivery," he recalls. "I knew she had received the dress, but was she going to wear it?"
Yes, she did!
Season 8 champ Gretchen Jones recently made a quirky video for Marie Claire magazine, and reflected to TV Guide about her 'Runway' competitor: "What Mondo and I represented were two very different aesthetics and perspectives. And I felt really grateful that Nina and Michael understood where I was coming from. I think they really understood me, not only as a designer, but what I represented in the fashion world. They were [the ones] I really was trying to reach. I knew it was going to be a battle from the minute I met Mondo, and I know both of our futures are bright."
Check out Mondo and his infamous dotty dress in this clip from 'Project Runway' season 8:
MORE ABOUT Heidi Klum
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Heidi Klum Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lance Bass Marries Michael Turchin: All the Wedding Details!
- Jamie Lynn Spears Posts Amazing Throwback Christmas Photo With Britney Spears
- Kim Kardashian Posts Photo of Her Messy Closet With North West
- Elton John marries longtime partner David Furnish in England
- Ice buckets, breaking the internet: The year in pop culture
- Other world leaders have been targets of wacky assassination plots in films
- Watch Darlene Love Perform "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" One Last Time for David Letterman
- Lance Bass and Michael Turchin Are Officially Married—Find Out Which 'NSYNC Member Performed at the Wedding!
- All the Details on Hailee Steinfeld's 18th Birthday Party With Austin Mahone, Fifth Harmony and More!