David Hyde Pierce Talks Coming Out & Marriage
By Jane Levere Posted Nov 15th 2010 03:17PM
In the most intimate portion of the discussion, Pierce opened up about being gay and why he finally decided to make his relationship with longtime partner Brian Hargrove public in 2007.
"It was very important to me never to pretend, never to hide," Pierce said. "In 1985, my partner Brian and I were new in the business and were not comfortable letting people know that we were gay. We had separate apartments. We went about our business."
"We met this lovely married couple down in the grocery store below the apartment building where we all stayed. A month later, we finally had the courage to come out and let them know that in fact we were a couple. They said, 'We knew when we saw you shopping.'"
Pierce admits he felt bullied into coming out and resents those who he believes were attempting to force his hand. "It wasn't so much about being uncomfortable being gay, it was about being uncomfortable ... Like the bully on the playground was pushing your face in the dirt saying, 'Say it, say it, say it.'" he recalls.
He and Hargrove married in California on October 24, 2008, before Proposition 8 reversed the California Supreme Court's decision to allow same-sex marriage in the state.
"I felt transformed ... We'd been together 26 years when we were legally allowed to get married in California. We went and did it, and we both agree it had a power, an importance to us in our lives that we can't really put into words, but that is totally palpable and intrinsic to who we are," Pierce said.
You've said your father did a lot of community theater as a young man, but that his father convinced him join his insurance business. Your grandfather was also an amateur actor. Did your father try to get you into insurance?
I remember calling and they [his parents] were so concerned I was going to be a music major, they thought there's no life there, he'll never make any money ... Ultimately, he and my mom both took great pleasure in my having made this choice, but there was no pressure either way.
Did you feel you were fulfilling the destiny of the family tree?
A friend of my mom and dad's came to see 'Curtains' and she came backstage and said, "Oh, my God, you're your father." She had seen him on stage. Whatever that is had been passed on like some sort of virus.
What was a favorite episode of 'Frasier' and why?
It's tough because there were so many that I loved, and I loved them all for different reasons. Frasier and Niles try to run a restaurant together. Niles trying to get ready for a date and setting fire to Frasier's apartment. Niles and Daphne getting together the first time he declared his love for her ... I don't have a favorite.
What similarities do you and Niles share?
I look at the reruns, and I realize we are no longer the same age. There's nothing crueler than syndicated television. Like most characters, he's a heightened version of me. A lot of the circumstantial stuff. I didn't know that much about wine -- I've since learned a lot. I wasn't a big opera person, but I've since learned a lot from playing the part ... Love of family, I think that was very important in those boys, as a grounding for all the wackiness. They really did care about each other and about their family, and I think that's something I share.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Apple Denies iCloud Breach in Statement About Stolen Pictures
- Kim Kardashian Wears Sexy See-Through Skirt, Black Bodysuit With Kanye West: See Her Skintastic Outfit
- Brad Pitt Honored Angelina Jolie's Late Mother, Marcheline Bertrand, at Their Wedding
- In The Midst Of Drugging Scandal, TBS Cancels Cee Lo Green’s ‘The Good Life’
- ?RHOC' Casting Shakeup! Bravo ?Actively Casting' Tamra's Replacement After Drama-Filled Season ? Execs Want A ?Voice Of Reason,' Says Source
- Joan Rivers Remains On Life Support Despite Reports She Would Be Taken Out Of Coma
- Alleged hacked McKayla Maroney pics banned from Reddit; site says she would be underage in them
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Flashes Incredible Abs, Drops Shorts to Reveal Butt Crack—See the Pics
- Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow Spend Labor Day Weekend Together With the Kids
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson Set to Release Duets Album Just in Time for the Holidays—Get the Details!