It Would Be Bad Business for Kim Kardashian to Get Married Now
By Jo Piazza Posted Nov 16th 2010 06:00PM
Sorry Kris! We just don't think it is a great idea for Kim Kardashian to walk down the aisle too soon. Secretly, the savvy momager business lady in Kris Jenner must agree.
While Kim is the undeniable kingpin of the Kardashian empire, she is also a cog in a well-oiled machine that uses the show 'Keeping up With the Kardashians' to sell a slew of consumer products -- from shoes to perfume, weight loss aids to bathing suits.
The trifecta of Kardashian sisters -- Kim, Kourtney and Khloe -- assault and delight consumer sensibilities weekly on their reality show and from the pages of celebrity news magazines. The brilliance of their marketing is that they each appeal to a different demographic of consumer.
The Kardashian klan (had to do that) is utilizing some skillful product differentiation to appeal to various groups of women.
Khloe is the newlywed! She markets to all those married ladies who fretted about losing weight before they walked down the aisle and are now looking for new ways to make their husbands happy and keep them interested.
Kourtney plays two roles. She is the new mommy! Yay! Everyone loves hearing stories about the baby, and with mommy bloggers growing in influence in the consumer market, she is perfectly positioned to sell them all sorts of Kardashian goods.
But Kourtney is also the one with the crappy boyfriend. Every time Scott pops a collar, throws a tantrum and comes home at 4AM, frustrated girlfriends everywhere give Kourt a virtual high five ... and then buy some QuickTrim.
And finally we have Kim. What is Kim besides hot? She's single AND SHE HATES IT. Last week, Kim appeared on the cover of PEOPLE magazine with the cover line: "I thought I'd be married by now."
Inside, she told the mag: "If you were to ask me in high school where I would be at 30, I would have said I'd be a housewife with four kids."
Fortunately for Kim, the single businesswoman is a pretty big niche. Her PEOPLE declaration made single women between 25 and 35 everywhere say, "Yes, I thought I would be married by now too. Thank you Kim. Now I relate to you, and where can I buy your perfume?" Or something along those lines.
"It's not only appealing for the Kardashians to appeal to a broader set of demographics, but they do so in the context of a family unit, which allows them to differentiate themselves further. It also makes them more relatable to audiences in the context of friends and family," explains Nelson Gayton, executive director of the Center for Management of Enterprise in Media, Entertainment & Sports at UCLA's Anderson School of Management. "The life experiences of each woman create a rooting interest in the family that perpetuates interest in each one of them, thereby growing their audience for their core brand."
These ladies (with some help from Kris) know exactly what they're doing. If Kim gets hitched, we fully expect Kourtney to ditch Scott and move into her sister's single shoes, followed in short order by a Khloe pregnancy announcement. They're evil marketing geniuses through and through. Now, where can I get that perfume?
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Beyonce Shares Adorable Family Photo With Blue, Jay Z Amidst Rumors of Marriage Problems: Picture
- Zac Efron Spotted Leaving Michelle Rodriguez's House Morning After Wild Night Out: Picture
- Jada Pinkett Smith Raises Awareness About Sexual Assault After Niece is Given Date-Rape Drug
- Jessica Simpson Doesn’t Want Any More Kids
- Dwayne Johnson Teases ‘Shazam’ Role
- Why Kendall Jenner Is Quitting ‘KUWTK’
- Reba McEntire releases new song, 'Pray for Peace'
- EPA sends out tweet promoting Kim Kardashian game, apologizes for doing so
- Tim McGraw comments on altercation with female fan
- Billy Bob Thornton Criticizes TV's Cupcake Wars: "Does It Have to Be a F--king Competition?"
- Emma Stone Annoyed Colin Firth by Live-Texting Him the Entire Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason Plot
- Husband Makes Spreadsheet of Wife's Excuses for Not Having Sex; Wife Posts Rejection Log to Reddit