Prince William Engaged to Kate Middleton
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Nov 16th 2010 07:32AM
Prince William and girlfriend Kate Middleton have the engagement news that the world has been waiting for and will marry next spring or summer in London. The announcement Tuesday by royal officials ends an on-again, off-again romance that began after the two met more than eight years ago as students at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. Prince Charles' Clarence House office said the heir to the British throne is "delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton." It said they got engaged last month during a vacation in Kenya.
The prince, who is second in line to the throne, once told an interviewer he wouldn't marry "until I'm at least 28 or maybe 30." He turned 28 in June and recently completed training a Royal Air Force search and rescue pilot.
The royal family is said to approve of Middleton, the daughter of self-made millionaires. Her father worked for an airline and her mother was a flight attendant before they started a mail-order business specializing in children's parties, run from their farm in southern England.
Middleton works for the family business.
Commentators have been anticipating a summer 2011 wedding, a date that avoids both the Olympics and Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee, both due to be held in 2012. Bookmakers stopped taking bets on a 2011 wedding months ago, saying all signs were pointing to a marriage next year.
Earlier this month the Middletons joined members of the royal family for a shooting holiday at the Balmoral estate in Scotland -- another milestone on Kate's road to acceptance by the family's inner circle.
The venue for the wedding was not announced.
"Prince William has informed the queen and other close members of his family," the Clarence House statement said. "Prince William has also sought the permission of Miss Middleton's father."
It said after the wedding, the couple will "live in north Wales, where Prince William will continue to serve with the Royal Air Force." More on the Prince William Engagement from AisleDash and AOL News
MORE ABOUT Prince William
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Prince William Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ringling Bros. eliminating iconic elephant acts from performances
- Syndey Leathers says she's sexting another Democratic legislator
- Lily James talks 'Cinderella' waistline as critics cry Photoshop
- 'Dig's' Tim Kring and Gideon Raff on the "Long, Crazy, Gratifying Journey" to Air
- Vince Vaughn on Imitating 'Frozen' With His Daughter: "Are We Doing Some Serious Damage?" (Video)
- 'Empire': Mo'Nique Says She Was First Choice to Play Cookie, Danny Strong Responds
- Dan Stevens to Play the Beast in Disney's 'Beauty & the Beast'
- 30 Comedy Movie Mistakes So Funny They Hurt
- Best of Late Night TV: Conan In Cuba and Zoe Kravitz's Game of Beer Pong (VIDEO)